Will my PRO-2053 still work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapalua

Premium Subscriber
I own a PRO-2053 and was told by the "scanner guy" at Radio Shack that this scanner would no longer work in Salt Lake City, UT because of rebanding. He told me I needed to buy a new $500.00 digital scanner. Is this true? I haven't been able to listen to my scanner for more than a year now and REALLY miss it. As I read these forums, I realize just how novice I am at this whole scanner thing, but I love it. I am willing to learn. Any help would be appreciated.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
They are correct in that the Pro-2053 is not supported and I don't see any digital in your area, so I don't think you need a digital scanner. There are plenty of analog scanners that support rebanding that don't cost near $500.

With that being said, check out this article in the Wiki:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/What_we_found_after_Rebanding

Also, see this one:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

And this forum thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/149099-pro-95-rebanding.html ( I know you don't have a Pro-95, but there is relevant info there for you)

Hope this helps.. Maybe others from you area will jump in with further.

Also, our partner Scanner Master is holding a "Black Friday" sale until 11/30. May be a great opportunity to get a new scanner for a good deal :)

Welcome to RR and happy reading :)

Last edited:

kapalua

Premium Subscriber
thanks....now what?

OK, I guess I need a new scanner. Since I don't understand the technical specs on all the information I have read, I am assuming I need a digital scanner. Could anyone possibly suggest a model that would work in my area (Salt Lake City, UT). Also, how do I program the scanner? I am really good with computers, and it appears many of these can be programmed via an internet connection. I apologize if these are ridiculous questions. I have listened to my scanner for years and am ready to learn more about this. THANKS!

qlajlu

Silent Key
I own a PRO-2053 and was told by the "scanner guy" at Radio Shack that this scanner would no longer work in Salt Lake City, UT because of rebanding. He told me I needed to buy a new $500.00 digital scanner. Is this true? I haven't been able to listen to my scanner for more than a year now and REALLY miss it. As I read these forums, I realize just how novice I am at this whole scanner thing, but I love it. I am willing to learn. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to RR.com kapalua! First off, I invite you to post in the Utah Discussion Forum. You can find it by scrolling down through the States on the main RR Forum page. Since we are local, we can be of more help in advising you and answering your questions.

Up to now, you have received mostly proper information. We have undergone rebanding and unfortunately, your scanner has lost some of its usefulness, but not all of it. You can still scan Salt Lake City Public Safety (AC33) since its frequencies did not change. You can also scan Murray PD because they have remained as conventional even though they moved to 800 MHz frequencies. As for the rest of UCAN, you will lose some listening ability (read this article). You will not be able to hear Davis County at all because of its new frequencies. As for the other sites, just program the new Control Channel frequencies and operate CC only. You will lose some of the conversations, but not all of them.

At the present there are only a dozen or so digital TGs in use in the UCAN system, so it is a toss up as to whether or not you would need a digital scanner, although most of us have gone that route just in case.

As I said, please post in the Utah Forum for more help and you need to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as you were requested to do in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it. All of the Utah members have their location showing and it is only a small courtesy to the rest of them.

Again, welcome to RR.com.

Last edited:

kapalua

Premium Subscriber
Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. I hope I've edited all that I need to. I am going to post in the Utah forum.

PS. This site is AWESOME!

scannerfreak

Database Admin
At the present there are only a dozen or so digital TGs in use in the UCAN system,

Thanks for the additional help. The system only reflects analog voice in the description. Since there are indeed digital talkgrouops, I have submitted a change to the DB to have it reflect the use of digital voice along with the analog :)

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thanks for the additional help. The system only reflects analog voice in the description. Since there are indeed digital talkgrouops, I have submitted a change to the DB to have it reflect the use of digital voice along with the analog :)

I never even noticed that the UCAN system hadn't received that notation. I know that theaton, the Utah Db Admin, knows about the digital TGs. The few that we do have are not used very often so they are mostly overlooked. Practically ALL the traffic is analog.

The only real use for digital in Utah is Hill AFB. They are digital except for some of the tower comms. I believe that Dugway and Tooele Ordinance Depot are digital, too. None of these are in the UCAN system, however.

Thanks, scannerfreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.