BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Will not connect to computer thru USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdp278

Feed Provider
When I attempted to connect my 436 to my Windows 7 laptop, which worked fine 3 weeks ago, I now get an error box: "USB cannot recognize device". Went into device manager, saw where one of the USB ports was labeled "unknown device", which when I unplug the cable, that USB port goes away. Tried different USB cable, same issue.Open the troubleshooting box, get a message that states" USB has shut down this device due to an error". Thought maybe there was something going on in my latop, brought the scanner & USB cord to work, tried on 3 different Windows PC's, all same error message.
So, at this point, is this a problem that requires the scanner to be returned, or some software issue. Currently running the orginial firmware when I received the scanner 3 weeks ago, I think 1.01 or something similiar. I searched thru these forums and did find posts in other sections that seemed to indicate that others were having a similiar problem. Have not attempted anything further, like removing SD card direct to computer, etc. Any suggestions??

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I can give you a couple of confusing observations but not being computer literate I have no idea what they mean or even if they mean anything. Nor do I understand the possible why of them.

First off I've begun to notice that rarely but on occasion lately the scanner got weird with the USB in some respects. It didn't apply to everything though. But it was as you described.

It seemed that different things worked to solve said problems though again I don't know why. None of those things worked long term though.

Sometimes it was removing the cable from the port and plugging it back in, others it was removing it from the scanner and putting it back in and finally other times it was power cycling the scanner.

I do know FWIW that after upgrading and attempting to use one particular program and DLing another from the same party that the problems began. When I stopped using said programs and removed them the problems stopped. Coincidence or related is of course up for grabs but I think from some of the comments it might be caused by stuff like that. I know one person said a while back that ARC was causing issues and when they upgraded to a newer version the issues went away. ARC btw works flawlessly for me right now.

Don't know if any of this will be of help but hope so. I wonder though how many of those reporting the issue cropping up just recently were using that particular program.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Thanks, Maybe UPMan or someone from Uniden will see the post, and be able to offer some insight. Fortunately my scanner does work for now, just cannot perform any updates thru the USB function, so while not critical, would like to get it fixed soon.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well after running fine until early this AM when I shut down computer and scanner everything stopped working when I turned stuff back on. Should mention only outside stuff. Cable, scanner, usb, Sentinal, and powering continue to work fine.

Completely puzzled as no remedy gets anything outside Uniden stuff itself to work.

budley5

Try connecting the scanner in serial mode, then on your pc click the start button and in the searck box type troubleshooting, then select hardware and devices troubleshooting, click on that, set advanced option to fix automatically. Most times it is just that the driver did not install properly and Windows Troubleshooter is a powerful feature that works very well a lot of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.