• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Will Police Radios and Smartphones Merge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkredick

If they do merge I would hope they consider battery life on the unit.Maybe have some of those Alkaline Battery kit like you can attach to some LMR portables now in place of the original battery.Forgot the nickname for the things.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Issue with this is that when you put all your communications resources in one box with one battery, you are limiting your redundancy.

There is a Chinese company that is already making a GSM phone with a VHF radio inside. I played with it at IWCE this year. Interesting idea, but it made neither a good cell phone or a good 2 way radio.

Likely things will improve in the years to come, and the issues will be worked out. Most officers are already carrying cell phones and a 2 way radio, so this makes good sense. When 700MHz and LTE mature, this will make sense, for agencies that do everything on 700MHz, but that won't be the case for most rural or smaller agencies.

SuperPhly

Premium Subscriber
As a part of a larger project that incorporates smartphones for law enforcement use, I've done some experiments with interfacing a professional site into an android app over IP, and honestly it worked pretty well. The problem always comes down to practical field use. You can drop a radio a typical police radio a hundred times and it will keep kicking for years, plus with less moving parts you have less that can go wrong. Could the right phone entirely replace a handheld radio? Probably, but it doesn't exist right now and even if it did, those types want a tech that they can call in to smack over the head when their radio site goes down. They wouldn't get that with a commercial cell phone provider.

mm

As another member mentioned the 'All of the eggs in one basket' idea is my biggest complaint also.

700/800 MHz and everything above this frequency range flat out does not work up here in the pacific Northwest, what with all of the 100+ feet trees in this geographic location but of course our wonderful technologically retarded Government who comes up with these PUT ALL THE EGGS In ONE BASKET ideas don't care a rats rear about us up here in the Northwest.

This is obvious what with FEMA kissing away and pissing on the flood victims of Oregon this week, well it's obvious where the governments priorities are and it's not in doing anything rational.

Let them build there 700/800 MHz/cellular public safety network in some flat location without 100 dB of vegetation attenuation and let them go ahead and try to auction off any and all frequencies that they can get their greedy little hands one without doing any sensible engineering evaluations.

In most areas of this country the locals know what works and what doesn't work much better than the morons in our government do and this is just another idea to bankrupt us and give needless contracts to big corporations.

I'm sure that once again all of the big public safety vendors will each design their own proprietary public safety LTE systems that are incompatible with one another, which will stop working when the wind starts blowing.

I can just see it now Harris will have Open Sky LTE, or maybe even resurrect EDACS LTE while Motorola will have Smartnet LTE and EF Johnson will be left in the corner with some rehashed version of LTR LTE with all of them needing another vendors interop bridge just to talk to one another.

Ok off my rant now,

SuperPhly

Premium Subscriber
I can just see it now Harris will have Open Sky LTE, or maybe even resurrect EDACS LTE while Motorola will have Smartnet LTE and EF Johnson will be left in the corner with some rehashed version of LTR LTE with all of them needing another vendors interop bridge just to talk to one another.

Ok off my rant now,

Yeah, I didn't even think about it like that, but you're right. Even if the infinitely cheaper option were available to use a commercial service for some sort of hybrid, you'd still be stuck under the thumb of all of these companies piping out their incompatible systems at ridiculous monopolistic prices and reminding everyone that the next time Katrina happens you won't have cell phone towers.

So far as using the wrong technology for a region, that seems to be "how it goes", thanks to upper management loving how buttered up they are by the salesme... um, I mean radio communication experts, that come out to talk to them from whichever vendor cuts to the front of the line. It only gets fixed after the guys in the field come storming back a half dozen times with a bag full of parts that used to be handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.