Will PRO-82 still work [for narrowband]?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan13

Hi,

I live in Iroqouis County Illinois. I have been using a PRO-82 scanner to listen to my local police and emergency frequencies. It now seems that I don't pick much up. I think they have narrowed the bands. I decided to buy a PRO-106. I've entered the conventional frequencies but I'm not sure how to figure out the narrowed band frequencies. Is it simply adding .0075 to the existing frequency? This does not seem to be picking much up either, but there may not be much going on in the county at the moment.

If all I really want to do is listen to my local police/fire/emergency, do I really need the PRO-106 or is there something I can do to get the PRO-82 to work?

Thanks

Susan

bob_leach_3

Pro-82

The PRO-82 should work OK for your area, except a digital scanner (like the PRO-106) is needed to hear the Illinois State Police and many state agencies. Narrowbanding, if it has happend in your area, should not affect your reception except for maybe reduced voume on narrowbanded frequencies. Now, if you had a frequency such as 155.0075, it can be entered as 155.01 but it may sound a little off-frequency. My PRO-82 has not the best reception but not too bad either. I would preferr the 106 over the 82 anyday:)

bob_leach_3

Pro-82

Forgot to add, you don't add any extra numbers to the frequency for narrowbanding. Just program the frequencies exactly as they are, in the database. If it's something like 155.0075 you round up or down if the scanner doesn't do that for you already:)

captncarp

My Pro-82 is still doing the job for me. All the police, fire, ems, ships, trains, aircraft and hams are still booming in as before and I know the railroads in this area have narrowbanded. Don't know who else have but I see no difference and my 82 is still a favorite.
Some of the cops have gone to a EDACS trunk system and I use a radio shack Pro-164 (on sale on line until tomorrow) for the trunk system. Don't have any digital to listen to so the 164 is good for the trunk systems around here, and it gets the same regular stuff as the 82 but there is too much to listen to on one radio so I like to put the trunked cops by themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.