Will Starcom migrate to TDMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelton

Since Starcom is phase 1 FDMA, will they ever have a need to migrate to P25 Phase 2 TDMA?

The reason I ask is, I am planning to buy a PSR-600 sometime, and would hate to get it and not be able to receive starcom (the whole reason for wanting this scanner).
Steven

RADIOUSER5

Premium Subscriber
It depends on your location and the present status of Starcom21. New systems will be much more cost effective to go in as TDMA; existing systems will need to replace the infrastructure as well as the mobile and portable units. New APX portables from Motorola that would be TDMA compatible cost $5-6 grand each depending on options and are pretty rare in Illinois. There is a 6.25 equivalent narrowband mandate that may force changes by the end of 2015, but those rules could be changed if federal budget pressures come to bear on the FCC.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The current starscam 21 equipment is not 6.25 khz. compatible,and besides that "starscam 21 " will likely be discarded in a couple years anyway.
n9zas

stevelton

With the hole our state is in, I really couldnt see them dumping the current system for a new TDMA P25 system. Wow, $5-6k per radio? I need to get out of selling Icom IDAS and start selling those puppies!
early retirement here I come.
With the 6.25 mandate, I have not heard any firm info on that. Is there a release from the FCC that says 2015?
I would be interested in reading up.
Steven

stevelton

forgot to say.

I hope IL does dump starcom and go back to LOW BAND!!
On the right days they had statewide communications!
Steven

SCPD

QRT
forgot to say.

I hope IL does dump starcom and go back to LOW BAND!!
On the right days they had statewide communications!
Steven

Well thank God they kept IREACH and the "Big Power and Lots of Tower" highband transmitters....they are the only guaranteed thing in ILLINOIS, well that and crooks for politicians....haha.

I agree, a statewide lowband system or highband would have been better. Heck they could have done a VHF Digital system and put towers everywhere, for what they are leasing Starbomb from Motorola at. That and your local departments would be more likely to afford service and equipment from that type of system also. I guess they figured as long as the ISP was on board paying a nice check, they didnt care about inner operability.

stevelton

I have a few public safety customers, and keep a VHF mobile in my car to have when Im out working on one of their systems. While I am driving around, I always hear district 19 and 13 troopers using IREACH to work a speed detail on the interstate 64 or 57. When I drive by where they are working, I only see ISP cars, no county or any other agency.

I want so bad to stop and give my piece of mind to the detail supervisor that using IREACH for that detail is against the rules.
But I guess I will just email a nice letter to the troop commander and maybe Springfield.

It hasnt happened yet, but our local EMS helicopter service, Air EVAC uses IREACH to get landing instructions from ground rescue. When they are inbound at 1000 feet, Im sure they can hear the troopers calling out speeders, and not get the info from rescue about power lines, or land markers.

ISP has simplex 700mhz frequencies they could use, and stay off of IREACH!
Steven

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I fully agree with the IREACH info, i listen to Life-Star on ABEEP out of Joliet and they rely on IREACH for info ....I do like Starcom tho because i can now hear very well off T125, T102,T101 the D-5, D-17, D-6, D-21, dispatch and mobiles and car-car perfect...The low band was great but on a scanner very limited....

Status
Not open for further replies.