Will the DPD Air Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna Outperform my Discone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW55

I did a search on the DPD Air Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna, but did not walk away with a definitive answer to: will it out perform a discone on the aviation bands?
I am talking both civilian and military air bands.
I just upgraded my coax to my discone from RG213 to LMR 400, Approx. 100' run. Yes I did see an improvement of about 1 more bar (SDS200) and can just pull in two more of the weather stations. I can almost make out some of the ground stuff from Selfridge ANG. They are 40 miles out at 580 feet elevation I am at 840' elevation.
My discone is 35' up on a tower.
If I replace the discone with the DPD antenna,( Same height & Coax run) will my Air band receive be noticeably better, or the about the same?

MDScanFan

You would most likely not notice a performance difference between those two antennas. The discone offers a more stable gain along the horizon and its gain is within within a dB or so of the DPD Omni X. I would just stick with the discone.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
+1 for staying with the discone. Additionally, you may benefit by adding an FM broadcast filter inline on your coaxial cable as well as a receive amp with no more than 10bB gain. See the link in my signature for more about a filter.

BobW55

You would most likely not notice a performance difference between those two antennas. The discone offers a more stable gain along the horizon and its gain is within within a dB or so of the DPD Omni X. I would just stick with the discone
The discone provides ZERO gain on any band.
The DPD antenna does, or so they state.

MDScanFan

Like I said, the gain of the Omni X is within a dB or so from the discone. That by itself is not worth a switch.

nd5y

Discone gain is well known and documented.
Nobody knows if DPD lies about gain like many other manufacturers of consumer grade antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.