Will the Pro-197 work in the North Olmsted area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to buy either a Pro-197 or a Pro-106 shortly. I've checked all of RR, and all signs show North Olmsted Fire/Police are still on analog, so both of these scanner will work fine. I just wanted to make sure this was true.

Also, I live in North Olmsted. What other cities will I be able to hear with either one of these scanners. Westlake, N. Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, etc.

Thanks for any help! :)

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm not from this area, but the 106 & 197 are full digital-capable trunk-tracking scanners. As long as the signal is not encrypted, or a format that no current scanner can copy (EDACS ProVoice, MotoTRBO, NXDN, etc.), you should have no problems with either.

Many say that the GRE & RS models that share the same internals have a better digital decode quality than the Uniden models, but that they can suffer from font-end-overload if the signal you are listening to is too close & running a lot of power.

You'll be fine with either. If you were in the NYC area & considering those models, I'd tell you to weigh your choices accordingly... :D

Mike-KC8OWL

Also, I live in North Olmsted. What other cities will I be able to hear with either one of these scanners. Westlake, N. Ridgeville, Olmsted Falls, etc.

Thanks for any help! :)

The PRO-197 will cover everything in the western Cuyahoga and eastern Lorain counties just fine, including MARCS. Witht he 197 you should be able to hear everything that area has to offer and then some. No Cleveland (city of Cleveland) though.

Last edited by a moderator:
olmsted twp and olmsted falls fire is on the southwest trunking system and are digital voice same for berea and middleburg heights fire.police are all vhf and n.ridgeville is uhf and lorain county is mostly vhf. i monitor them from parma i use a VHF cdm1250 for the VHF traffic and use a GRE-800 for my digital trunking systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.