will the srrcs get beeter when they go "digital"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssd

will the srrcs get better when they go "digital"

will the srrcs get better when they go "digital"?
or what wors?

thaks

Last edited:

ssd

in rx and tx i work for rt and my mts dos good in downtown but get to 65 it s**k. or watt& i80 too.

Sac916

Nobody will ever know until it happens. Digital could sound awesome if you're in the right spot. It could be just the same or worse. Just because it is digital doesn't mean it will sound or perform better. There are definite benefits, but that doesn't mean it will be "better".

Just read the other forum post about P25 / digital systems.

Sac Sheriff's old 400MHz system sounded much better than SRRCS today.

ssd said:
will the srrcs get better when they go "digital"?
or what wors?

thaks

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Los Rios sounds good most of the time on my 396. They are much louder than the analog stuff also.

Last edited:

Sac916

scannerboy02 said:
Los Rios sounds good most of the time on my 396. They are much louder than the analog stuff.

I would love to see some sort of digital coverage report compared to current analog

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
dgower said:
I can't think of anyone that has sounded better when they go digital.
No more popcorn or waa waa waa hetrodyne with digital, which I like. I'm too far to listen to either site but it might be an issue of simulcast phasing impacting the digital quality. Otherwise digital sounds just as intelligible as analog when tuned properly.

JT-112

Be afraid of simulcast - very afraid.

P25 is OK when not simulcast, but when it is it can really suck for scanner listeners. I think the audio is fine for the actual users of the system as MOT and the other vendors have figured out how to receive P25 from multiple transmitters, but neither Uniden or GRE has.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
sixtytwo said:
as MOT and the other vendors have figured out how to receive P25 from multiple transmitters, but neither Uniden or GRE has.
In many cases where it's not the fault of the scanner's digital decoder I think it's more the quality of the receiver. With Uniden you have a half-ass digital decoder and with GRE you have a receiver that could be tightened up a lot more. Screwed either way.

JT-112

Yep, there are a few places where the bitstream can get hammered, since the audio is fine on single-cast systems, the problem will be elsewhere, IF stages or maybe even down to the detection/discriminator choice.

I seem to remember reading a looooong time ago that DPLL discriminators did a great job on getting rid of the simulcast phasing/buzzing sounds on FM.... something similar has to be the solution here.

citylink_uk

Database Admin
Yes digital Simulcast is a tough thing to accomplish. The site overlap zones have to be really tightly controlled (even more so than analogue) in order to get limited packet loss.

Where analogue simulcast would get slightly distored audio in the exact overlap, digital could loose all data/some packets completely, so it's important to get it right so that audio is as good as it gets.

The best thing to to if you are trying to monitor a simulcast system is to find out where the nearest (best) site is and use a Yagi to or something directional to point to it. This will help to reduce any multipath from other sites. This is especially important if you are trying to listen to a out-of-county or distant systems where the overlap is only managed in the service area of the system.

Last edited:

JT-112

Well, no packets in P25 over here on this side of the pond, just frames.

I don't horribly mind simulcast when I'm home, there are things that can be adjusted, aimed, etc. I _hate_ it when I'm on the road, however. All you can do is put up with it.

I did see in another thread that there's a thought that neither Uniden or GRE do a good job on error correction.

franka00213

Isnt analog much more safer that digital. when analog breaks up you can still here pices at least a key up it anthing. Digital just dont work at all unless you have FULL coverage and the radio can communicate most if not all packets with the system. just woundering!
Thanks

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
franka00213 said:
Isnt analog much more safer that digital. when analog breaks up you can still here pices at least a key up it anthing. Digital just dont work at all unless you have FULL coverage and the radio can communicate most if not all packets with the system. just woundering!
Thanks
Typically digital gives you better voice quality when you are in a situation where analog is breaking up. It's not necessarily the case that digital starts breaking up when analog does.

mkewman

los rios sounds awesome (except for dispatch, they seem to be in a very echoey room, which would mess with the sound if it was analog).

i listen all the time.

srrcs needs to fix several issues before they go 100% digital- the biggest one being the deadspots. there are several areas *cough*carmichael*cough*orangevale*cough*north highlands* that have pretty significant dead spots (at least, that i've experianced with my 396 and a mobile antenna... results may vary with motorola units), some of them happen to be in somewhat elevated crime areas.

consider that it took a long time to go from separate trunked systems ( one for city, one for county) to one system, SRRCS. I expect it to take another several years before we start seeing Digital as the predominate mode on the system. At the very least, SSD probably won't go 100% digital until they move to their new comm center, at least thats my understanding.

by the way, speaking of ssd, sounds like HIDTA operations are going on, heard some today, on two separate drug channels on the system.

RolnCode3

I can almost guarantee that what you experience on your 396 does not correlate to dead spots with the portables and mobiles. I've been using the system for about 8 years, and I can truly point to only 3 places that are "dead". We're talking mobile won't receive type dead.

But there are definitely places that reception might not be great (and I will not pinpoint locations for either type of problem). This is probably where we have difficulty transmitting on portables, but can receive, and your 396 will probably drop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.