Will there be a 996xt price drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancopa

So I am wondering does anyone think there will be a price cut or better sale on the 996xt anytime soon?

t_shuffle

I would imagine that they'll come down in price when it becomes common knowledge that they're no longer being supported. Unless they're no longer being produced, in which case they'll probably hold their value for a while.

daneg

I would imagine that they'll come down in price when it becomes common knowledge that they're no longer being supported. Unless they're no longer being produced, in which case they'll probably hold their value for a while.

If they are no longer being supported is there something new coming out? The 996xt should be ok for all digital systems that are currently out now that are scannable?

sjlamb

If they are no longer being supported is there something new coming out? The 996xt should be ok for all digital systems that are currently out now that are scannable?

It is still a current top of the line unit that Uniden continues to sell and support with both parts and service (that is afterall, the real definition of product support). The fact that there has not been a firmware update in the past 12 months or so does not mean that it is not supported. Nor is it obsolete or even rumored to be on the chopping block. You will always hear the distant beating of war drums by those who feel that Uniden is obligated to make the model that they happen to own forever young; as if dipped in Juan Ponce DeLeon's Mythical Fountain of Youth thru endless firmware updates and, regardless of whether the updates they pine for are possible or not. The XT series are GREAT units that will be used and talked about long after they are gone.

Last edited:

Highpockets

It is still a current top of the line unit that Uniden continues to support with parts and service (that is afterall, the real definition of product support). The fact that there has not been a firmware update in the past 12 months or so does not mean that it is not supported. Nor is it obsolete or even rumored to be on the chopping block. You will always hear the distant beating of war drums by those who feel that Uniden is obligated to make the model that they happen to own forever young as if dipped in Juan Ponce DeLeon's Mythical Fountain of Youth thru endless firmware updates. The XT series are GREAT units that will be used and talked about long after they are gone.

Then you have those that just love Uniden, like yourself. Some feel that Additions/Upgrades/Fixes are part of support, and for over a year there has been none, and they will be talked about.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Timing

Really...?? I'll give you $200 cash for yours' right now. Think of all the profit you'll make.

Like everything else its all about timing...Think about all those $300-$400 scanners you see in yard sales. I know I have had several that when I bought them they cost hundreds but sold for next to nothing after a few years. Besides that I just sold one for cheap, granted it was a 996T not a 996XT.:eek: I'll keep that offer in mind in ten years when I want to sell my 996XT. lol

eaf1956

Feed Provider
996XT format

Hell, I'll settle for a HP1 packaged in a format like the 996XT. Maybe I could hear it then. Gone are the days when scanners had awesome audio circuits. I had a crystal scanner once that if you turned it up it could be heard 2 blocks away. lol

hfxChris

Database Admin
Then you have those that just love Uniden, like yourself. Some feel that Additions/Upgrades/Fixes are part of support, and for over a year there has been none, and they will be talked about.

Out of curiosity, what other consumer electronics are sold which would continue to receive upgrades and additions in such a manner?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
If a new model like a 996XTDMA comes out then the price MAY drop a bit from retailers to clear out stock

however the 996T's go for $300us range + shipping USED and they are 3-5 years old. Same for 785D and 796 with card are still in the $250 range

These digital scanners hold thier value very very well for radios that are 3 years old and out of warranty.

Short answer - I doubt you will see much reduction in price on new units, and only if a new model is brought out. In that case the price may drop a BIT but not that much.

garys

Premium Subscriber

They are still being supported, they are just not being upgraded. Just as my 2006 Toyota isn't being upgraded, but it's still being supported.

You use that term a lot, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

When the HP-1 came out, the price of the 996XT didn't drop, so I wouldn't expect to see a price drop.

t_shuffle

Looks like I put my foot in my mouth.

safetyobc

Out of curiosity, what other consumer electronics are sold which would continue to receive upgrades and additions in such a manner?

Cell phones (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)

iPod Touch (get updates typically similar to iPhone)

Mac OS

Kindle Fire

Google TV

Apple TV

WDTV

Roku

And many many other products. Companies are supporting their products longer and longer now. It's almost expected in some instances that firmware updates fix bugs and add features on these products. Scanners are no different in that aspect.

sjlamb

Cell phones (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone)

iPod Touch (get updates typically similar to iPhone)

Mac OS

Kindle Fire

Google TV

Apple TV

WDTV

Roku

And many many other products. Companies are supporting their products longer and longer now. It's almost expected in some instances that firmware updates fix bugs and add features on these products. Scanners are no different in that aspect.

... and how many of these are hardware that was introduced more than (5) years ago? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.