Will There Be Any Loss From This

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

I Got A Larsen,nmo,150/450/800mhz Antenna And It Comes With 12 Feet Of Coax Will I Loose Anthing If I Add Another 12 Feet To It I Use It In My Apartment Cause It Is So Small The Land Lord Cant See It And It Is Mounted On My Balcony I Would Use A Better Antenna But Im Not Aloud To Have One So I Use This One For Now .but I Need A Few Extra Feet To Get It Were I Want It So If I Do This Will I Loose Anthing I Listen To The Palm 800 And Some Am Air Frequency And My Local Fir Ems And Police Which Is In The 155.490 Range Fm

Paulsan

Probably not much. Try it and see.

Just curious, why capitalize every word? No offense, it just seems like a pain to do.

SIGG

I've been wondering this same thing. I bought the same antenna and the coax won't reach the dashboard when it's mounted on the trunk. Currently it's on the roof but I've been considering extending it but was worried about any loss.

hoser147

Its supposed to be the women that are complainin about ya been too short.:lol: I dont think you will see much loss, but wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the coax with a longer piece? Hoser

lugoffman

hoser147 said:
Its supposed to be the women that are complainin about ya been too short.:lol: I dont think you will see much loss, but wouldn't it be just as easy to replace the coax with a longer piece? Hoser
well on mine it came with a bnc to uhf adptr. like bu-312/bnc-255 and i was wondering if i could take and get a little longer coax and put with it and then put the bnc adptr with it . but would i loose anything ???

hahahaha i dont thank my wife is loosing much lol !!!! at least i hope not anyways !!!

sorry for the capital letters lol!! wasnt paying any to it when i wrote this lol

Paulsan

Try calling The Wireman. www.thewireman.com

When I called them last week, the lady very nice. Just let her know that you're not an expert and need advice. That's what I did and the next thing I knew I had a cable in my mailbox.

hydrolocked

short answer - nothing you'll notice.

long answer: yes,it will add loss. but nothing you'll likely notice.

EMSJohn

Paulsan said:
Probably not much. Try it and see.

Just curious, why capitalize every word? No offense, it just seems like a pain to do.

As others have said, the loss in the extra 12 foot section will be present, but neglegable. Any time you add cable or connectors, loss in signal occurs. I'm sure that someone has the mathematical figures the explain the physics of it if you wanted to know the exact details....

(And as to capitalizing every word, he saves time by not punctuating anything.)

key2_altfire

lugoffman said:
155.490 Range Fm

At that frequency virtually any coax will do. A general rule of thumb is that VHF is not too picky about coax, but UHF is attenuated more readily, so higher quality coax is needed to prevent too much signal loss. You've probably seen a lot of posts here about LMR-400 coax. This is a loss grade... underneath it is LMR-200, above it is LMR-600. LMR-400 just happens to have the nicest price for the performance, and is good for just about any scanner frequency you'd ever monitor (HF to over 1.0 GHz).

lugoffman

Paulsan said:
Try calling The Wireman. www.thewireman.com

When I called them last week, the lady very nice. Just let her know that you're not an expert and need advice. That's what I did and the next thing I knew I had a cable in my mailbox.

hey thanks for the info ill give them a call and go from there

now im dealing with the issue that my new antenna im using with out any extentions sometime i pick up better with my factory antenna and some time i dont i can tell a difference with the laresn nmo 150/450/800 but its the same way some times i pick up better with it and sometimes i pick up better with the factory antenna can some one tell me if my new larsen antenna could be bad

lugoffman

EMSJohn said:
As others have said, the loss in the extra 12 foot section will be present, but neglegable. Any time you add cable or connectors, loss in signal occurs. I'm sure that someone has the mathematical figures the explain the physics of it if you wanted to know the exact details....

hahahaha!!!! THATS FUNNY!!!

hydrolocked

EMSJohn said:

The physics really isn't that bad.

resistance = loss.

ANY time you have a connector, there's resistance. It may be immeasureable with your garden variety meter, as it's on the order of milliohms, typically, but it's still there.

Any time you have wire (coax) there's a certain amount of resistance per foot (though it's so small, they usually specify it in terms of resistance per 100 feet).

In terms of why the resistance affects higher frequencies worse than low frequencies - that's where it gets a little more complex.... (no pun intended)

N1BHH

I use one here on my air conditioner and it works fine. I had a short piece of RG8X kicking around and use that to route it thru the base of the wall beside my back door. I do the same thing with my Larsen NMO-2/70 and don't have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.