Will there ever be a NXDN scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voxiso

Is there any scanner in the works from any of the scanner makers to able to decode NXDN? Or is it just a lost cause? NXDN has been gaining traction over the past 5 years or so and I never hear of any scanner maker trying to make a scanner for it.. Will it ever happen? Or is it just the nature of the beat and will never happen? Everyone makes a big hoopla over the new P25 scanners well that is like 15 years old.. I am sure one of the top selling points to NXDN sellers is there is no scanner that can monitor them.. Many counties in my state has went NXDN.. If scanner makers could make one they would make a killing.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I am sure that will come, now that DMR based systems are becoming more common.

DSD+ will listen to many of the systems, but is not very portable.

Sent via Tapatalk

Moto_user

Is there any scanner in the works from any of the scanner makers to able to decode NXDN? Or is it just a lost cause? NXDN has been gaining traction over the past 5 years or so and I never hear of any scanner maker trying to make a scanner for it.. Will it ever happen? Or is it just the nature of the beat and will never happen? Everyone makes a big hoopla over the new P25 scanners well that is like 15 years old.. I am sure one of the top selling points to NXDN sellers is there is no scanner that can monitor them.. Many counties in my state has went NXDN.. If scanner makers could make one they would make a killing.

I think we will eventually see a SDR (software defined radio) that will do DMR, NXDN, etc...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
P25 uses the same vocoder as DMR and NXDN, so P25 scanners have most of what they need to do this. It would also need memory sufficient to hold the "nuts and bolts" of the protocols to be able to decode them.

What it will take is for the scanner manufacturers to decide there is enough demand. When they see that they can make a profit off it, they'll offer it.

The other hindrance will be that (at least for NXDN) encryption is as easy as setting a code and checking a box. You might find that there are more encrypted DMR And NXDN than what you might find on analog or P25. There won't be any easy way around that.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
NXDN

Doesn't that NXDN have a weak encryption so you could possibly buy an NXDN radio. Or if someone steps up to the plate as they did with DSD and write a program that emulates the encryption so a pc could brute force it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood NexEdge, there version of NXDN has a couple of options for encryption:
The "standard" encryption included with the radio has something like 32,000 different codes.
An optional "Secure Cryptographic Module" can be installed to provide AES/DES level encryption.

N5TWB

IMO, the driving force that will get NXDN on scanners is the gradual conversion of railroad radio to that protocol. Elsewhere on the DMR front, it's my understanding the AMBE vocoder patent runs out in 2017so it may become available.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind as soon as there's a scanner out that can readily pick up NXDN and/or MotoTrbo, then there will be a whole lot more radio techs checking the "ENC" box.

mikepdx

Never say never.

I recall at the dawn of the trunking technology, there were many who said
that it was the end of the scanning hobby and there would never
be a scanner capable of following a trunked system.

a388sig2

Does it come down more to licensing with Kenwood and ICOM? Is this format exclusive to these manufacturers and not licensed to scanner makers?

voxiso

If NXDN is open why hasn't there been a scanner that decodes it

I think Uniden is scared they will have to spend 25 cents per scanner.. They been living large on P25.. I mean come on that **** is 15+ years old and they make out like a new digital scanner is something never seen before.. I mean this is a company that sends scanners out with a damn serial adapter LOL this is not 1995.. The fact they want $30 for USB programing cable ? Sums it up.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If NXDN is open why hasn't there been a scanner that decodes it

Like I said above, where there is enough demand for it, there will be profit in making it. Why offer it now when they can charge for it later? I'm sure Uniden is well aware of NXDN and DMR and just waiting for the right time to roll it out. They just rolled out the new ones that do P25 phase 2. They'll wait until sales on those drop off, then release DMR/NXDN, and drive sales up again.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Why? It's all mostly clear now.

Because users of NXDN know there isn't a scanner available that can decode it. A scanner out that can decode it would drastically change that "feeling of security" users have presently......

Status
Not open for further replies.