Will This Amp Work With The IC-756PRO II??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichproII

I recently purchased a LA-1000A amplifier made by Amp Supply Co. and was wondering if this could be used on the ICOM 756PRO II? Has anyone used this amp with the ICOM PRO line? Yes I did look at the manual but the something doesn't look right with the supplied connecting wires. I am only 3 yrs. new into this hobby so I am seeking help from the all experienced ones. Thanks and 73, Rich W2JAA

k9rzz

I don't know this for sure, so I'm just saying this in general, but many of the older amps require the radio to switch more current than newer transceivers can handle. Check the manuals to see if that Icom can safely switch what's required with your amp. A simple relay will take care of the problem if that's the case. Good catch!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am almost certain you'll have to use a relay for reasons stated being this is a 1980s vintage amp. I hate to throw a wet blanket on hot tubes but I never was fond of sweep tube amps for a number of reasons, first and foremost the tubes were almost always pushed beyond their limits which drastically shortened their life and made tuning at low power an absolute must in order to not exceed the dissipation ratings usually ~15W per tube. Today the biggest problem is obtaining what once were cheap and plentiful replacements since they are no longer manufactured, old stock is severely limited, very expensive and many unavailable at any price. I can't tell you about the 6JM6s this one takes, you may have to find substitutes and since the RCA Receiving Tube Manual is no longer published this may be difficult at best.
Amp Supply LA-1000 No Tune Amplifier Diagram
[AMPS] Amp Supply History
http://www.jogis-roehrenbude.de/Sender/la1000a.pdf

k9rzz

Whether sweep tubes, or a three holer of 8877's ... power is power and it'll get you through the pile up! We've had lots of fun with little Hunter Bandits right up to 'top secret' refrigerator sized cabinets.
icon_razz.gif

kb2vxa

Banned
I hate to be the one to break the news but good operating skills and a bit of cleverness will beat raw power every time. Then there are times even when both together hit a brick wall, once upon a time I tried every trick in the book and finally resorted to firing up a Collins KWS-1 into a 20M Yagi on a 60' tower and learned just why it's called the California Kilowatt Curtain.

I'll give you a clue, if it's DX you want avoid the dog piles.
This VFO was made for tuning,
And that's just what I do.
One of these days this VFO will find you,
Calling out the first CQ.

Bottom line here is QRO is for beating poor band conditions, VFO is for beating QRM.

k9rzz

Sure, you can beat any pile up if you've got the time. Bigger the pileup, the longer the time. Start living down on 80 and 160m and you'll spend MORE time in those pileups. Multiply times two during contests.

VHF and UHF? Yeah, you can work extreme distances with low power, but not very often.

More power = less time between great contacts.

Put a less experienced op behind the wheel of a pile up (even a small one) and he'll pick the louder station first. It's easier.

To each his own. I'll take the amp, work 'em, and move on ... thank you very much!
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:

prcguy

Hey Warren,
Did you have something other than a Tech class license back then when you were on 20m?
Poke poke....

prcguy

I hate to be the one to break the news but good operating skills and a bit of cleverness will beat raw power every time. Then there are times even when both together hit a brick wall, once upon a time I tried every trick in the book and finally resorted to firing up a Collins KWS-1 into a 20M Yagi on a 60' tower and learned just why it's called the California Kilowatt Curtain.

I'll give you a clue, if it's DX you want avoid the dog piles.
This VFO was made for tuning,
And that's just what I do.
One of these days this VFO will find you,
Calling out the first CQ.

Bottom line here is QRO is for beating poor band conditions, VFO is for beating QRM.

kb2vxa

Banned
"Put a less experienced op behind the wheel of a pile up (even a small one) and he'll pick the louder station first. It's easier."
Pardon me if I got a huge laugh out of that, you reminded me of my smug satisfaction at the time. After an hour and a half of calling the DX finally came back and being some sort of smart alec told me straight out he was working only big guns and returned my call only to get rid of an annoyance, me. I can be like a tick on a hound dog, patience is one of my virtues and I have the persistence of P4 phosphor with plenty of time to be as annoying as that tick in a sensitive spot. It pays off when it's quality you're after, anybody can fill the log with contacts and impress no one while watching a fellow DXer's eyes bug out reading it is priceless.

"Did you have something other than a Tech class license back then when you were on 20m?"
Poke poke yourself (;->) I had something better like operating from the shack of an Extra's DC to light QRP to full gallon station in what amounted to an ideal, noise free location perfectly sited for working the world. I'll give you a clue, the now defunct WSC coastal maritime station now W2WSC is right up the street, RCA didn't choose a salt marsh in West Creek for nothing.

DX nothin' but a houn' dog, I bite yo' bad behind
DX nothin' but a houn' dog, I bite yo' bad behind
Come back to me silly rabbit
Or I drive you out o' yo' mind

Big Momma Thornton was mad enough at Elvis for rocking up her Blues but her ghost gonna spook my lights now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.