Will this still work

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone I was wondering if my old scanner from the 80s, 90s or early 2000s will still work
note I don't know who manufactured it

You have to know what kind of system or frequency you're trying to monitor is. Most everything nowadays is digital and if it is digital / P25, then know the older scanner will not work. Look on RR at the database and look up the area that you're interested in monitoring and see whether or not it is analog or digital and if it's a trunk radio system or not. If it's just a conventional, you enter an analog frequency and it's not a TRS type of service you're trying to monitor, then you have a chance that the older scanner might work. But unfortunately it's likely you will need a newer, P25 scanner. That just means you will probably need a newer digital scanner and possibly one that is a TrunkTracker. And there are a multitude of trunk radio systems also :)

Commscan

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
PS, I'm blind and I did not notice the link you posted to the area you're interested in monitoring. Some of those are digital but any of them that have a PL tone, like the 127.3 PL tone I noticed, will be analog and an older scanner should monitor those. The list of frequencies on the link you shared are conventional frequencies meaning they're not part of a TRS.

Commscan

Status
Not open for further replies.