Will Tulsa upgrade it's radio system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcm55

I am considering a new scanner soon and want one which will
be able to work on whatever future TPD system has.
I read on another forum that OKC went voice encriped and that
no current scanner is useable there. If Tulsa go's the
same route, I'll hold off till if and when a scanner is able
to operate there.

SCPD

QRT
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71x: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/280; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

tulsa and okc use two diffrent radio sytems. if tulsa stays with motorola, which i have no doubt they will, then just about any trunking scanner will do. the only exception to that is if Tulsa goes entirely digital then you will need a higher end scanner.

mcm55

Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71x: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/280; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.13 Version/10.00 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

tulsa and okc use two diffrent radio sytems. if tulsa stays with motorola, which i have no doubt they will, then just about any trunking scanner will do. the only exception to that is if Tulsa goes entirely digital then you will need a higher end scanner.

Ok, let me ask the question this way;

Does anyone know for certain if Tulsa is planning to change their radio system from what it is today to something else? I do not want to buy an expensive P-25 digital if Tulsa go's to encrption
as EMSA has on the Tulsa system that they already share.

Given Tulsa's present financial position, I seriously doubt if you will see any technology upgrades in the near future. Probably a decent non-digital trunking scanner will provide you with the level of service you are looking for. If Tulsa decided to go full encryption a P25 capable scanner would be useless anyway.

BTW Broken Arrow Police and Fire will soon be migrating to an Open Sky system un-monitorable by any scanner.

hacksaw

Premium Subscriber
BTW Broken Arrow Police and Fire will soon be migrating to an Open Sky system un-monitorable by any scanner.

And I am not happy about the Broken Arrow Open Sky thing! LOL.. Oh well.. Listening was great while it lasted.

Tulsa has some digital now. I am riding all this out for a few years before I invest more money.

w0kie

Knowing how broke Tulsa is and that no Federal money seems to being to going to buy a digital TPD radio system I felt quite safe recently buying a new analog only Uniden BCT15x to go with my other analog toys..

mcm55

Well, looks like I'll continue on with my old bearcat trunk-tracker for a while longer.
Hopefully there will be some kind of walk arounds (such as outboard decoders).
Thanks to all who responded!

w0kie

Uniden just added unit id display to the BCT15X firmware. Now if we only knew what Tulsa patrolman had what unit ID we could follow the action even closer. That said, there was plenty of action last night as the bad guys were roaming up and down Memorial breaking into businesses and hanging out in the un-lit park next to Charlies Chicken at 32nd and Garnett.

Status
Not open for further replies.