Will UNIDEN ever make a smaller digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

{SNIP}
The other nice feature of these small Yaesus is the fact that they use a high capacity Lithium-Ion battery.
{SNIP}

Please don't get Uniden in the thought of going back to "special" battery packs! Those of us who have/had 235's, 245's, 250's, and 296's can be touched with the pain of having your battery go dead in the field. KEEP THE AA's!!!

Dewey

K4APR

Please don't get Uniden in the thought of going back to "special" battery packs! Those of us who have/had 235's, 245's, 250's, and 296's can be touched with the pain of having your battery go dead in the field. KEEP THE AA's!!!

Don't forget that the Yaesu VX-1R also had a single AA battery adapter with a built-in voltage doubler. That was an awesome backup power source for when the Li-Ion died. I had one and took it everywhere when I was a kid. Dropped into the dollar store for a $1 four pack of AA batteries and I was good for a long time :D

DesertRatt

Premium Subscriber
I like the BCD396XT just the way it is. If Uniden were to try to make it any smaller, it would create more problems than benefits.

gregkaderli

Yes, I have owned several BCD396T's. and also a VX-3R. I personally don't think electronics should get much smaller. Even though we are going to PC programming for cell phones, scanners, H-T's etc.....I think it is useful to have some form of easy manual interface with the rig and if the radios, phones etc get much smaller it will not be user friendly. Even the i-phone cannot get much smaller without having to strain to use it.

Probably the best answer for us scanner freaks is a Blue-Tooth add on such as Yaesu has for some of its mobile VHF and UHF ham rigs.

Tsch6373

I'm perfectly happy with the size of the 396, fits in my purse (or pocket) until I get to work and then isn't too unwieldy when l mount it to the company radio of my work vehicle. If it was smaller, we wouldn't be able to read the display! Not to mention the loss of audio quality from a smaller speaker. There is no need to change anything relating to the size of this radio. Just my 2 cents' worth!

JoeyC

Smaller? HELL NO. The audio already sux on these small radios, making them smaller will require listening through earbuds. Nobody wants to have to listen to a scanner with earphones/buds.

Status
Not open for further replies.