Will UNIDEN ever make a smaller digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
With the pace that technology is advancing, is should be time for a true shirt pocket sized digital scanner. Look at what is stuffed into a VX-3 or a VX-8. The VX-3 gets lost in my shirt pocket.

So, guys, is there enough interest in a smaller hand held digital scanner ?? Upman, anything in future plans for a smaller version of a hand held digital scanner (that you would be willing to disclose at this time) ??

Thanks,
Bob

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
Count me in.
I would love to see a smaller version of the 396XT.
It is NOT small enough to carry around all of the time in your pocket and it is too big to carry around on your belt (plus you look like a fool with a scanner strapped to your belt).

I carried a VX-1R around for a couple of years and there is a HUGE difference between it's size and the current 396XT. You can carry these small radios very discreetly and very comfortably in your pocket. The other nice feature of these small Yaesus is the fact that they use a high capacity Lithium-Ion battery.

I think having a Uniden 396XT in something like a Yaesu XV-8R case would be great.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Will Uniden ever make a smaller digital scanner?

Put me in the group that think the BCD396XT is small enough as it is. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but at some point some things are small enough for me. I am like that with cell phones, too. I have a Motorola Nextel i580 and a Motorola Tundra VA76r. Every so often somebody will look at one of those and comment that it is "huge". I just sort of look at them and they will comment that compared to some other phones they are huge. Now at work our Motorola XTS5000s are big, but I am sure that sooner or later they will have those down to Motorola Visar size. (Anybody here remember the Visar?)

mrkelso

Put me in the group that wants a Big Bold Beautiful Desktop Base Unit all Black with lots of gadgets on it.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Smaller means near-useless speaker. You'd have to use earbuds to listen.

While there are some who'd like such a radio, I doubt there'd be enough demand for one to be made economically.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
I'd be happy if the next Uniden digital came in the same form as the BC246T, including the BNC antenna and 246-style beltclip!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

That's not true in the least. I carry a VX-3 in my uniform shirt pocket (it actually fits completely inside with the pocket flap closed), and use it as a scanner for the PD/FD in my district as well as the FD's for the communities my district touches, rahter than deal with the cutting out of the scan audio on my issued XTS2500. The audio is more than loud enough to hear-the volume goes from 0 to 30, and I usually keep it at 18-19 inside and around 25 outside.

XTS3000

While there are some who'd like such a radio, I doubt there'd be enough demand for one to be made economically.

I'd agree. Had a VX-3R and the speaker was HORRIBLE vs. the 396XT. There is no way I could comfortably hear the VX-1R/2R/3R in the car driving 55mph. No problem hearing the 396XT.

With what must go into the 396XT circutry wise, I can't see it getting much smaller. Right now, its not much bigger than a pack of smokes.

sjlamb

Are you sure that putting it in your shift pocket looks any cooler ;) ?

Hahahaha.... that is so very funny. Thanks for almost making me wet myself.

Sure, it fits right behind the pocket protector.

:D

In highschool.... these were the dudes that got the schnot beat outta them.... when they weren't getting lock inside a locker.

Last edited:

crayon

RF Cartography Ninja
Database Admin
(plus you look like a fool with a scanner strapped to your belt).
Only when said scanner is used as a tool to draw attention to ones self via excessively loud volume or the placement of it.

If/when I wear a scanner on my belt, I place in the back and use ear buds. You can enjoy the hobby without it being overtly obvious.

scannersnstuff

Put me in the group that wants a Big Bold Beautiful Desktop Base Unit all Black with lots of gadgets on it.

although it don't have all the bell's & whistle's of the 996xt, the 898t fit's the bill. a lot of bang for the buck.

K4APR

Put me down for a smaller size TRUNKING/P25 capable scanner. For a guy who is already fat and doesn't want to stick out anymore than needed :D I like thinner, smaller electronics.

Does anyone remember the little Motorola pager style case frequency counter that Optoelectronics used to produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.