Will Uniden release a new modle in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryton

Just wondering if we will get a follow up to the 996XT next year? It got me thinking, what do you think the release cycle is? When Uniden released the 996T, how many years was it before they announced the 996XT? I'm just trying to see if there is a pattern in release's.

W2PMX

I think the pattern is "when there's a need for something new, and they've worked out the bugs". At least that's what I hope it is. I'd like to see a Uniden portable with an SD card for programming and recording, and Phase II capability. I'm so in the market for one right now.

Tryton

Well, I did some searching, and these dates are by no means 100% but in 06 the 996T was released, 09 the 996XT was released, sooo, if it's a 3 year cycle, maybe we will be getting something new in 2012! BTW, what was the Flagship scanner before the 996T? and what year did it come out?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Can't remember when they came out but it was the Uniden 785, modified from the Uniden 780.....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Can't remember when they came out but it was the Uniden 785, modified from the Uniden 780.....
The 296 (handheld) and 796 (base/mobile) were in-between the 785 (it's companion sibling was, I think, the 250) and the 396T/996T.

MarkWestin

Between the 785 and the 996T was the 796D. The 796 was an upgrade of the 785. As I recall the differences were: 1. came with the Digital card (796) vs Digital card was optional (785). and 2. 9600 Baud APCO 25 operation (796) vs 2400 Baud Apco 25 CAI operation (785).

Mark

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If a new Model of Uniden is released I hope the unit will be updated for FDMA for 800 Digital monitoring. Any ideas Paul?

You mean TDMA. Digital scanners already decode FDMA. Also, TDMA is not exclusive to 800 MHz systems.

questnz

Australian/NZ version of 396XT released in the last few weeks :: Uniden Australia ::
Not sure about any "improvements" yet, but it is released with AUS/NZ band plan. We just have to wait for some reviews from friends who already received new toy.

scannersnstuff

holding my hand to my head. i see a vision. yes, they will be coming out with at least one new scanner. but they will fudge up the step increments.......... ! .

scannersnstuff

thank you tryton. as you can see, i don't have any real alliance to any particular scanner mfg. i have/had scanner's by uniden,radioshack and gre. and yes, i do like the unidens that i have.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
holding my hand to my head. i see a vision. yes, they will be coming out with at least one new scanner. but they will fudge up the step increments.......... ! .

I had no idea you knew what the future holds...you might want to become a fortune teller...seriously though...how can you say the bold part above considering no one knows what features future models will have?
Marshall KE4ZNR

scannersnstuff

marshall, look at the thread for the forthcoming bc125at. they already released the owner's manual, stating that this model will only do 5 khz step's in the vhf-hi band. i know you have a predilection toward's uniden, and seem to be paul's right hand man.
what really irk's me, is when several of us who were eagerly awaiting it's release,asked about this, uniden/paul chose not to address the issue.
i guess we can all vote with our dollar's !. K.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Voting with your dollars is always a consideration by scanner manufacturers. UPMan has even stated that any product announcement is at least six months out from being released, but the BC125AT has been type accepted already at the FCC, so any changes to the band plan would not be likely, so close to product release. It is firmware upgrade-able, so there is always a possibility of a fix when needed.

scannersnstuff

DAVEIN, exactly. but i would rather be assured that this is the scenario. if this is the case,and it can be updated, i would consider buying one. i'm not totally sold on the psr-310. it kind of seem's like buying another psr-500,but without digital. who know's,maybe i'll wait and see what come's down the pike.
i'm not inclined to throw my hard earned buck's on something that just ain't going to do it for me.
i was just looking forward to having something that i could throw all the frequencies in my county into.
simple bank's, and somewhat on the cheap.

btw - i'm not a uniden basher. i just tell it the way i think it is. they are not giving me free scanner's. part of the reason i stopped subscribing to
monitoring time's. how can you have someone that sell's the same radio that they review,give a unbiased review ?. i bought my pro-92 thinking it was going to be the best radio ever. what a POS !. and it was only like $350.00.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.