Will Uniden Update Service Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

Just thought I would put this out there for a general debate/discussion. Does anyone think Uniden will ever update the Service Types with new or modified versions? A lot has changed since the first HomePatrol series scanner were released over 10 years ago. I also understand you could add your own custom service types (up to 8) What are your thoughts on this?

Stay Safe

Michael

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Uniden's service tags are based on the RRDB service tags (previously called function tags), which is why they match identically. Uniden added "Racing Officials" and "Racing Teams", as well as 8 "Custom" slots, but that's it. There's a good reason for them to match, as the conversion of the RRDB to the Sentinel DB needs to be consistent.

So the chances of Uniden adding additional service tags is highly unlikely, unless something with the RRDB changes and they need to adapt to that change. There are no plans for adding or changing any of the RRDB service tags.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree - it's very unlikely Uniden and RR would want to add more Service Types. There is too much of a backlash issue with programming (as in Sentinel, ProScan and ARC). They all use fixed dropdowns to select a service type.

Everyone who uses software for programming would have to ensure they update their software to accept any new service type or the program may have an issue and not recognize a given channel because it perceives an error in the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.