TRX-2: Will we ever see a ProVoice Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I know, ProVoice is dead so it's pointless adding an upgrade for it. But before everyone starts complaining I should point out that my area has 2 EDACS systems with ProVoice that at least for the time being have not laid out plans to switch. And I might add recently Uniden made a ProVoice upgrade available to their 325/996 line. So it couldn't be that dead. Reason I would like to see this with the TRX models is because they receive EDACS far greater than Uniden, and are much better at tracking radio IDs, and they are better on VHF sensitivity and these are VHF EDACS systems. So will we ever see a ProVoice upgrade to the TRX?

jim202

I know, ProVoice is dead so it's pointless adding an upgrade for it. But before everyone starts complaining I should point out that my area has 2 EDACS systems with ProVoice that at least for the time being have not laid out plans to switch. And I might add recently Uniden made a ProVoice upgrade available to their 325/996 line. So it couldn't be that dead. Reason I would like to see this with the TRX models is because they receive EDACS far greater than Uniden, and are much better at tracking radio IDs, and they are better on VHF sensitivity and these are VHF EDACS systems. So will we ever see a ProVoice upgrade to the TRX?

Those agencies that are still using an EDACS system are on a very limited time for maintaining their system. Harris already has notified these users of the drop dead date for further support. As many times as I have read the notice, the date just doesn't stick with me.

Bottom line here is there is no longer any support that will be available for their system. Any parts will have to come from agencies that have already taken these systems out of service. In many cases these agencies have already sold this equipment off at a public auction. So as the months go by, the ability to locate replacement parts also goes by at the same pace.

If these agencies still using this equipment haven't already started the replacement process, they are going to be in a big bind shortly.

scotttish

I drove to OKC to visit my family for Christmas a week ago and noticed how quiet OCK City police and fire is. Just a month ago, I could hear all non-encrypted comms and now, little or nothing. The system says "Provoice" is in use there. Did they just now change it to that system? A Provoice option for the TRX's would be great...

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I believe the end date for support is December 2017. Of course, there will be the die hards that scavenge up every part on ebay to keep their system running, so it will be around longer than that, but the fact that only 6% of the US has a geographical are where a Provoice system can be monitored makes it unlikely that the R&D would generate a profitable return to add it.

Looking at it from the sidelines, it appears that Uniden used Provoice as a Guinea Pig. Low investment and a small target customer base to determine if people would be willing to pay for an upgrade before investing in larger formats (DMR.) I don't think they planned on Whistler going right to DMR and then making it a free upgrade.

SCPD

QRT
Ebay .. buy a real Edacs radio, dirt cheap and far superior to any scanner.

If you wait .. and ask me in a few months, I will give you some Edacs gear for free, as long as you pay for shipping. This would apply to anyone here on RR.

milcom_chaser

Rather than offering ProVoice, Whistler's focus would be better served improving scanner and EZ Scan features...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I second what edmscan suggested. You can get a ProVoice Jag on eBay for stupid cheap these days. Just please, for the love of God, ask for help before programming it if you don't know what you are doing!

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I drove to OKC to visit my family for Christmas a week ago and noticed how quiet OCK City police and fire is. Just a month ago, I could hear all non-encrypted comms and now, little or nothing. The system says "Provoice" is in use there. Did they just now change it to that system? A Provoice option for the TRX's would be great...

http://forums.radioreference.com/ok...n-forum/243261-listening-okc-updated-faq.html

I know this is old but OKC has been ProVoice since 2011, and is now migrating away from that.

SCPD

QRT
I second what edmscan suggested. You can get a ProVoice Jag on eBay for stupid cheap these days. Just please, for the love of God, ask for help before programming it if you don't know what you are doing!

Exactly .. unless you want a couple of detectives at your door. The same thing happens if you stream audio here .. you get the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.