Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Now some of use are already running alpha tags in applications like winamp and have been for awhile. Will you hop on the bandwagon and force people to download special software to listen to your scanner when any type of media player will play a shoutcast/icecast feed.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Some time ago I moved my feed from the Simplecast/Icecast/Serproxy/Monitor setup to the ARC EazyStream setup. Why?

1. It's easier to maintain from a server standpoint; 1 program vs 4.
2. It works in near real time.
3. The client is free.
4. Anyone not afraid to download and try new free software will have no problem dealing with the change.

I can't believe the volume of whining I have heard about this. If you don't want to change from your existing feed method...don't! If you want to try something innovative that works in near real time and works well....do!

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I think the thing that is keeping me from moving is the need for a client to install proprietary software. I don't mind having to run the 4 programs to do it. I like the fact anyone with a mp3 player can listen to my feeds. I'm streaming the text tags for winamp which works great once it's setup and running. (and truthfully, there's a lot of setup involved)

brianfoy

kingpin said:
I think the thing that is keeping me from moving is the need for a client to install proprietary software.

A big nod to that. I don't mind at all that the server is proprietary, but I would never think to use it because the client is proprietary. Asking people to download "one more thing" just to listen to your feed is just giving them "one more reason" not to bother with your feed.

To reinvent the wheel like that when so many people already have players capable of showing the data is just a mistake. Based on the mixed results the pool has seen so far, If Butel is smart (or likes money enough) they will add the capability to use Winamp and other players as the client as well.

Brian.

electricsheep

scancapecod said:
Some time ago I moved my feed from the Simplecast/Icecast/Serproxy/Monitor setup to the ARC EazyStream setup. Why?

1. It's easier to maintain from a server standpoint; 1 program vs 4.

You can limit this by running a late version of IDTracker, which will pass the alpha tags you have programmed into idtracker to the oddcast plugin to broadcast over shoutcast. I am running a shoutcast server with alpha tags and it works great... Plus I can listen in on my scanner with pocketpc and cell phone...

brandon

Database Admin
I will not be joining the EazyStream bandwagon. The software never worked for me whenever I tried to listen to peoples feeds. Plus I already paid for another program called ProScan which already does Scanner-over-IP audio streaming and soon control.
I also use Icecast/Oddcast free setup to feed a single conventional channel off a PRO-60 scanner.

Last edited:

rbm

I put up an EasyStream feed using a BCD396T & BCD996T (alternating). It took just a few minutes to download and start streaming.

I have a few friends who are nearly computer illiterate except for reading email. They downloaded the client and were listening within 5 minutes and love it.

All in all, it couldn't be simpler.

A few added features like automatic reconnect for the client and I can't think of a reason to use anything else.

bear105

I have also joined the Eazystream bandwagon. As someone who travels frequently, its great to be able to scan my favorites back home. I used to run the Shoutcast stream (and frequently still do) but found it unreliable over time. Too many restarts/reboots.

And although my Eazystream is down right now, thats really Mother Natures fault as my house lost power during the recent Ernesto storm. No stream is gonna rebound from that without manual intervention.

I've tested Eazystream since it came out and have been quite happy. I would like to see client support for Linux/MAC etc via Java-based software. Maybe Gommert@Butel would even consider releasing the client code as Open-source in the future so it could be intergrated and expanded upon...

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
bear105 said:
I have also joined the Eazystream bandwagon. As someone who travels frequently, its great to be able to scan my favorites back home. I used to run the Shoutcast stream (and frequently still do) but found it unreliable over time. Too many restarts/reboots.

And although my Eazystream is down right now, thats really Mother Natures fault as my house lost power during the recent Ernesto storm. No stream is gonna rebound from that without manual intervention.

I've tested Eazystream since it came out and have been quite happy. I would like to see client support for Linux/MAC etc via Java-based software. Maybe Gommert@Butel would even consider releasing the client code as Open-source in the future so it could be intergrated and expanded upon...

Why would no stream rebound from a power outage without manual intervention?

My stream comes back online within 30 seconds of power being restored with simple shortcuts in the windows startup menu.

Anyways even before I would look twice at Eazystream it would need to be able to be played in any media player application. Oh and for you people that say the feed is instant, it is streaming over the internet why do you need an instant feed. Also simplecast with icecast my feed as a 2 second delay with alpha tags running.

cnmsales

webstar22 said:
Why would no stream rebound from a power outage without manual intervention?

Anyways even before I would look twice at Eazystream it would need to be able to be played in any media player application. Oh and for you people that say the feed is instant, it is streaming over the internet why do you need an instant feed. Also simplecast with icecast my feed as a 2 second delay with alpha tags running.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Odd/Winamp is the way to go, couple this with dyndns and you have a perfectly easy stream. Its about as easy as 123 to set up and like has been mentioned it will work with a larger majority of media players.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Any some good news, the creator of TalkGroup Monitor just made a version that can send aplha tags directly to icecast now rather then having to run simplecast.

D

DaveNF2G

I'd like to be able to stream the audio from my scanner while showing a webcam view of either the scanner or the computer that is controlling it. So far, I haven't found a server that will pass streaming video without having to pay for it. Are there any free webcam multimedia streaming servers out there?

electricsheep

webstar22 said:
Any some good news, the creator of TalkGroup Monitor just made a version that can send aplha tags directly to icecast now rather then having to run simplecast.

If you run oddcast dsp you can use the shoutcast server and display alphatags from idtracker (which I already have running to record certain talkgroups and log all transmissions).

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
MatteBlack said:
If you run oddcast dsp you can use the shoutcast server and display alphatags from idtracker (which I already have running to record certain talkgroups and log all transmissions).

Thanks you already posted that. Plus with shoutcast you get that crazy delay which i've timed upto 3 mins.

Last edited:

cnmsales

LOL 3 mins? You dont have something fowarded correctly or else your connection is wacked. I use Oddcast + Icecast and I have right at avout a 5 sec delay on my feed.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
cnmsales said:
LOL 3 mins? You dont have something fowarded correctly or else your connection is wacked. I use Oddcast + Icecast and I have right at avout a 5 sec delay on my feed.

Ah someone didn't read, I said SHOUTCAST not ICECAST. :)

Icecast delay = 2 seconds.

cnmsales

Ahh yeah sorry about that, dont have any expierience with shoutcast. Tried it once and didnt like it. Oddcast is alot easier to full with. Sorry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.