Will You Use The New Yaesu P25 Amateur Radio For Federal Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
If Yaesu sells an amateur radio that will tune P25 frequencies beyond the amateur radio bands, would you use it for federal monitoring? Before my area went to an 800mHz digital, trunked public safety radio system, I would use my Yaesu FT-8800 to listen to ham stuff as well as public safety, federal, etc. Now, since most public safety is trunked and most federal is P25, I don't get nearly as much utility out of my FT-8800. I am just wondering if anybody else here is looking forward to getting more use out of their amateur radio for this purpose.

N8IAA

Without a doubt. Especially if it receives P-25 Phase I and is capable of receiving out of band. Otherwise, it will still be my digital scanners.
Larry

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Probably not. I listen with my GRE, and there is very little Fed stuff around here, that I care to listen to, that isn't already on the statewide trunking system.

W2NJS

A very large percentage of the Fed P25 radio transmissions are now encrypted and can not be decoded or received by casual listeners.

No. I already have amateur radios for the amatuer bands and I also have a P25 capable scanner. I couldn't justify the cost of a Yaesu when I already have equipment to serve that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.