Wilmington/New Hanover County Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardis3412

I just recently bought a radio scanner on craigslist. I don't know much about radio, but I really enjoy listening to the stuff going on in my area. I live in Wilmington and my scanner is a Uniden BC340CRS. I tried looking up the police and fire frequencies on radioreference.com, but I haven't heard anything on the frequencies posted. I have found a few frequencies with some activity on them by scanning blindly, but I don't always know what I'm listening to. 453.450 has had a lot of activity, but most of the stuff I here on it is happening in Shallotte. Does anyone know the frequencies the police and other emergency services use in the Wilmington area?

Welcome to the world of scanning.

Most everything in New Hanover County is on the trunked system for the county. City & county law enforcement, EMS and fire are all on that system as well.

Brunswick county still uses conventional for now. Law enforcement there is on UHF and fire & ems are on vhf. The 453.450 you are hearing is the main repeater channel for Brunswick County.

If you go to the database, click on the map on New Hanover County and then towards to the of the frequency list, click on Wilmington/New Hanover Public Safety TRS link, it will show you the info for the trunking system.

If you listen on 154.295 you will hear the County fire dispatch for New Hanover's county fire, and on 155.280 you will hear ems dispatch for the county. Other than that, thats all youll hear as far as activity on VHF for New Hanover and the City of Wilmington.

drew6553

Nozman,

Brunswick is not a conventional radio user anymore, They are now using an LTR system and have been for at least a year now if not two. Tardis, The 340 is nice, but you will need to up grade to something like a pro 97 to scan both New Hanover and Brunswick trunked systems

I was not aware that brunwick was using their LTR now, since I haven't done any radio or tower work down there in the last 2 years. I just wish they would have went with a Motorola TRS. :)

Thanks for the info.

Nozman,

Brunswick is not a conventional radio user anymore, They are now using an LTR system and have been for at least a year now if not two. Tardis, The 340 is nice, but you will need to up grade to something like a pro 97 to scan both New Hanover and Brunswick trunked systems

drew6553

I'd rather just have analog with multiple repeatered fireground tac channels than wasting 60 million bucks of citizen's taxes

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Fireground comms should be analog simplex, that is it, end of story. If you want to stay in contact with units out of range of a scene then you can have a "command" repeater but true on scene comms should be simplex. I had words more than once about using the repeater to talk with someone 50 feet away :roll:

But it was brunswick county, I should never been surprised with the stupidity that occurred in that county.

I agree there as well. However, I have yet to have any problems with background noise and PASS alarms on digital trunked and digital simplex.

I still love the analog, even for cellular, then you could have a full 3 watts of output.

Pender County is just as bad, everyone uses the repeater to talk to someone less than 100 feet away, and as always, they are breaking up since the repeater is an "el cheapo" 20 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.