• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Wilson Electronics 800 Mhz 8-Element Yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkm

Hello to all,

I was wondering if anyone has played around with the Wilson Electronics 8-Element Yagi antenna? The antenna is actually meant to be used with cellular telephones, but it seems close enough to work with trunked systems in the 851-868 Mhz region. With a few adapters, I've managed to get to an SMA connector from an FME connector (which is on the 5 Ft. jumper that I got with the antenna.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. I had originally bought it to try to receive a new APCO P25 system in the next county north of me on which I was having severe multipath problems due to the simulcast nature of the system. Using the yagi seems to have cleared up a great deal of the problems and I get about 90% of the transmissions clearly now compared to 40% before.

I also took it outside and played with it for a while, and was quite surprised to hear both Montgomery County and the City of Dayton trunked systems, both of which are around 75 miles from where I live! And when I turned the beam 180 degrees away from Dayton, I could hear, on the same control channel as the City of Dayton, the Heath, Ohio trunked system. With the Wilson Electronics Magnet Mount Antenna I bought as well that I have on the car, I can barely hear either of those systems.

I guess 800 MHz is really sensitive and the antenna, to work directionally, really needs to be outside; inside of a building, the signals seem to bounce all over the place and things that are west of me come in best when I point to the southeast :p Still, even inside it doesn't do that bad of a job considering.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this antenna. It's definitely worth taking a look at.

Justin/W1IX

jkm said:
I was wondering if anyone has played around with the Wilson Electronics 8-Element Yagi antenna?
Hello,

Yes, Wilson Electronics makes good antennae. I have used the 8 element Yagi for some time and pleased with results. Very good DXer. The Magnet Mount DB819 with FME to SMA adpater worked great locally for mobile apps. I now use the NMO mount. No issues with Wilson Electronics. Btw, it works well on other bands (VHF-Low, VHF-Hi, and UHF).

Dave AKA The Tripzter

Styler1

I use one also. Had exact same problems you had with multipath on a P25 system. I was able to point it to null out the offending signals. Went from nothing but garbled crap to 95% copy. Strange thing is I live only 2 miles from the tower but experience multipath & phasing issues because of the close towers. It's on a 20 foot mast and I am running RG-6 but the amount of the gain makes up for the lossy coax.. Great antenna!!

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
jkm...

I bought one 6 months ago. It has worked wonders for me. Due to my condo situation, I actually mounted it in my attic. I need about 30 ft of coax, so I'm running a 4-output signal amp also. I am able to pull in the infamous 'Tower 701" that Detroit uses at 90%+ from about 20-30 miles. I am also able to get several other 800 systems in the area 100%. I ran the yagi with a discone into a Diamond MX-37 (I believe thats the model) duplexer. Again, because of my condo situation, trying to limit amount of coax for now. Fortunately, most of the 800 systems I monitor are generally SW of me, so a rotor is not needed yet. I'm getting great results on VHF, UHF & all the local 800 systems.

Just my 2 cents....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.