Wilson/Wilson Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody tell me what the deal is with Wilson/Wilson Co.

They are licensed for 800 Mhz frequencies, but the last time I was down that way there was no activity.

I was in Raleigh a few years ago, and had a good friend that works in communications for the Office of EMS. He called and talked with the Communications Director with Wilson Co. and he was told that they were in the process of looking at which vendor to install and maintain there 800 mhz system.

I would say that was back around 2000, and still no information is available. I was just curious to find out if the idea for Wilson/Wilson Co. going 800 Mhz is still on hold or if they have scraped the idea and are waiting to jump on the Viper System.

Thanks

David
KI4GBJ

FNG

Well I can definately answer that one!!!! Wilson County TC here for 3.5 yrs until about a month ago!!! There are NO public safety comms. on 800 in wilson. The city has some VERY limited 800 usage in utilities and what not, but, all the P.S., with the exception of the PD, is on VHF hi band. The PD went to NEXTEL about a year or so ago, so you can absolutely forget ever hearing them. You MAY occasionally hear the TC's on the old VHF PD channel, 155.610, because they (are supposed to) simulcast for the sheriff's deputies benefit of hearing hot calls going on within the city limits, but it will be completely one-sided. There is the rare occasion that they pull the NEXTEL system down for service and revert to VHF, but it's RARE and only lasts an hour or so, tops...

Hope this helped.

Randy
KI4HDW

blueline_308

I had heard they went to NEXTEL a while ago. Does it work well? Whats the advantage of outsourcing your PS comms? I just think something as critical as PS comms, should be owned, operated and maintained locally...but I am old fashioned.

Jim

ncjkd856

My dad works at ems in wilson, They have Motorola Radius and all the freq's in there are the vhf fequencies including nash and wayne counties..I havent heard all of the channels but i think pitt county is also in it.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The International Wireless Communications Expo / Mobile Radio Technology Summit will be held November 14 and 15 at the University Hilton in Charlotte.

With the number of public safety agencies looking at Nextel as an adjunct OR replacement to their communications, the following forum might be escpecially interesting. I understand that Richmond, Va has also integrated Nextel into their communications plan recently.

8:15 am – 9:00 am - Keynote Session

An Unlikely Solution - Using Cellular as a Public-Safety
Communications Network

Dathan Shows, Director of Technical Services, City of Wilson, NC

The conventional wisdom in the public-safety communications sector
is that a cellular network never should be contemplated as a
replacement for a traditional land mobile radio system, given
cellular's well-documented problems concerning reliability and
priority. However, public-safety officials in Wilson, N.C., have
done just that by successfully deploying a cellular push-to-talk
network as their primary communications system. Hear from the man
who authorized and implemented the system, as he describes the
rationale behind the unconventional step of using a commercial
wireless network, as well as the planning and pitfalls in
implementing it.

9:10 am – 10:10 am - Breakout 5

Commercial Networks as a Substitute for Private Networks
Facts, Fiction, Pitfalls & Potential

Moderator: Donny Jackson, Writer, MRT Magazine
Panelists: John Facella, P.E., Director & Market Manager,
Public Safety, M/A-COM, Inc.
Dathan Shows, Director of Technical Services, City of Wilson, NC
Herb Sharpe, Area Director, NC/SC/TN Public Sector, South Region,
Sprint Nextel Corporation

Join Dathan Shows and others as they debate his city's choice of
a private cellular carrier system for their public safety
communications network. Discuss whether this is the future for
public safety agencies, what they should look for when determining
if private or commercial systems are right for their needs, and
what features and functions make up commercial wireless networks
vs. private LMR systems.

FNG

ncjkd856 said:
My dad works at ems in wilson
Really?? Cool!! Who's your dad?? Cliff....Carlton...Allen...Dick....Bruce....Chris....Terry....There are several more but I don't know them as well because we never worked the same shift....

Status
Not open for further replies.