• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Wilson Y881 Super-Gainer handheld Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napalm

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Messages
432
Location
Clark Co., Ind.
It sounds like it's the same as the Watson W881 Super-Gainer.

Reasonable performer, bit long though, and unless you're using it on a BNC socketted radio, I wouldn't use it on an SMA to BNC adaptor.
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
Napalm said:
It sounds like it's the same as the Watson W881 Super-Gainer.

Reasonable performer, bit long though, and unless you're using it on a BNC socketted radio, I wouldn't use it on an SMA to BNC adaptor.
Perhaps that is what the name is Watson as I get the two names mixed up. What is wrong using it on BNC connected handheld? Just about all radios are BNC connected.
 

timmer

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
264
I have one of those antennas and it is a bit long, but it is a good performer. It made a heck of a diffrence from the standard rubber duck on my pro-97. I was getting hits on signal stalker using the watson that were not even breaking the squelch with the standard rubber duck that comes with it.
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
timmer said:
I have one of those antennas and it is a bit long, but it is a good performer. It made a heck of a diffrence from the standard rubber duck on my pro-97. I was getting hits on signal stalker using the watson that were not even breaking the squelch with the standard rubber duck that comes with it.
I'm also using it on a Pro-97 the Silver handheld. I was told it is the best as far as handheld antennas go.
 

Napalm

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2006
Messages
432
Location
Clark Co., Ind.
stingray427 said:
Perhaps that is what the name is Watson as I get the two names mixed up. What is wrong using it on BNC connected handheld? Just about all radios are BNC connected.
No I meant theres no problem if your radio has a BNC, but if like most of the newer handhelds yours has an SMA, I wouldn't use it on an adaptor.
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
Napalm said:
No I meant theres no problem if your radio has a BNC, but if like most of the newer handhelds yours has an SMA, I wouldn't use it on an adaptor.
I see... I just plug it directly into pro-97.
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
It costs about $45.00 I believe it is the most expensive hand held antenna. Does anyone know what makes this antenna so much more expensive or better than the rubber duck antenna?
 

timmer

Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2003
Messages
264
Not exactly sure, but all of the Watson antennas seem to be very pricey. I also have the Watson # ?? (I can't remember the number, but it is specially designed for vhf and uhf aircraft bands). It does pretty well, but I've seen several comments about the Maldol AH 500 (I think) not for sure on the model #. It apparently is about the best habdheld antenna for vhf/uhf aircraft bands. It is also pretty expensive. All of these specially made antennas are fairly pricey.
 

sony

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
203
timmer said:
Not exactly sure, but all of the Watson antennas seem to be very pricey. I also have the Watson # ?? (I can't remember the number, but it is specially designed for vhf and uhf aircraft bands). It does pretty well, but I've seen several comments about the Maldol AH 500 (I think) not for sure on the model #. It apparently is about the best habdheld antenna for vhf/uhf aircraft bands. It is also pretty expensive. All of these specially made antennas are fairly pricey.
I tried doing a comparison between the rubber duck antenna that came with handheld scanner inside car vs. Wilson Y-881 Super Gainer antenna and at one point it was hard to tell the difference..
 

GTO_04

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
1,778
It's very good on VHF, but not so good on 800. If you listen primarily yo 800 MHz you are better off with the RS 800 with the adapter.

GTO_04
 

FLA2760

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
442
Location
Hernando County, FL
It's very good on VHF, but not so good on 800. If you listen primarily yo 800 MHz you are better off with the RS 800 with the adapter.

GTO_04
That is correct. I have both, and the Watson shines on VHF and the RS 800 MHz is very good for trunked system monitoring.
 

DogBone384

Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
20
Location
Massachusetts
I have the SMA version of this antenna. It works great on my 396XT & Pro-137. I got it from Scannermaster.com for around $35.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top