Freescan: Win 10 Window Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Hi!

Migrating to a new laptop with a huge screen. Running Windows Ten.

This thing is cutting off the bottom of FREESCAN. I can scroll down, I know stuff is down there, I just can't see it.

It doesn't do this to other programs, just this one (so far).

It's a 64bit system, if that helps.

I'm certain it's simple, can you clue me in?

Thanks in advance,

sm

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Ha. SAME thing happened to me with EZScan for Whistler when I first got it and went to Windows 10. I just hooked up my HDMI wire from the PC to my big screen TV and was able to access the stuff on bottom. After that I played around with the numerous new screen settings Windows 10 had going over Windows 7. Finally got the right settings. Right after that Whistler revamped EZScan and moved stuff to the top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rred

Some software is written poorly, with custom screen "boxes" hard coded by a fixed number of pixels, height and width. Windows apps are *supposed* to make system comms and use what are called "common dialog" routines and other system tools, which ensure they will always display properly, no matter what your screen size and resolution.

But, there's always something, usually from an inexperienced author, that chooses to just "do it the simple way" and hard-code sizes or positions without trying to use the system calls and routines.

Sounds like your app is one of those.

I know a major financial institution that recently "improved" their web site this way. If you click on "HELP" it opens up a huge help screen, in a fixed size, with no scroll bars, instead of using a standard pop-up browser window. And where's the contact phone number for web help? Yup, two inched below the bottom of the screen. Guaranteeing the customer who needs to call web support, will never have access to their phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.