Win 500 question about recording...

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

What is the remote server setting in win 500? Is this where I can record and listen at another location on another pc? Can someone explain exactly what the remote server setting is?

Thanks!

DonS

The "Remote Server" settings allow you to connect to Win500 from another PC, using the "Win500 Remote Monitoring Client".

You set the "Port" in both programs to the same value, and set the "Address" field in the client to the IP address of the machine running the Win500 server.

btritch

Ok, If I've got it running hooked up to my regular desktop PC here at the house in one of the back rooms of the house, Well, My bedroom that is, I keep my laptop in the living room, the problem is I'm usually on it more, However, With this program, I can open win 500 on my laptop while it's running on my desktop, Set the IP address of my DESKTOP in the IP address column of my LAPTOP's win 500 software and I'll be able to monitor what's on the screen from here but I won't be able to hear it, Right? I'm seeing "Port" values but I'm not seeing an "Address" Field in there anywhere, Do I have to click anything?

Last edited:

DonS

You'd run Win500 on the Desktop (the machine directly connected to the scanner). On that machine, you'd check the "Enabled" (and likely the "Controllable") checkbox in the "Remote Server" section. You then click the "START" button.

On the Laptop, download the "Remote Monitoring Client" from the Win500 web page, and unzip it to the laptop's hard drive. Run "Win500Client.EXE". In the "Server Address" field, enter the IP address of the desktop. In the "Server Port" field, enter the value from the "Port" field in Win500 (that's running on the desktop). Click the "START" button.

The client app on the laptop should then connect to Win500 on the desktop, showing you the scanner's display and, if you've connected a cable from the scanner's headphone jack to an audio input on the desktop (e.g. "Mic" or "Line In"), the scanner's audio.

You may be prompted on the desktop about a "firewall". If you are prompted, click any button that tells Windows to "unblock" Win500. Otherwise, you won't be able to connect to Win500 from the remote client.

btritch

You'd run Win500 on the Desktop (the machine directly connected to the scanner). On that machine, you'd check the "Enabled" (and likely the "Controllable") checkbox in the "Remote Server" section. You then click the "START" button.

On the Laptop, download the "Remote Monitoring Client" from the Win500 web page, and unzip it to the laptop's hard drive. Run "Win500Client.EXE". In the "Server Address" field, enter the IP address of the desktop. In the "Server Port" field, enter the value from the "Port" field in Win500 (that's running on the desktop). Click the "START" button.

The client app on the laptop should then connect to Win500 on the desktop, showing you the scanner's display and, if you've connected a cable from the scanner's headphone jack to an audio input on the desktop (e.g. "Mic" or "Line In"), the scanner's audio.

You may be prompted on the desktop about a "firewall". If you are prompted, click any button that tells Windows to "unblock" Win500. Otherwise, you won't be able to connect to Win500 from the remote client.

Will this work anywhere or just on my network?

Last edited:

DonS

Will this work ANYWHERE or just on my network?

The client app can be run from anywhere, as long as:
1. The machine on which you're running the client app has Internet access
2. You have Internet access on the Desktop machine at home (the machine running Win500)
3. You've "opened" or "mapped" any required ports/addresses so that incoming connection requests (from the remote client app to Win500) actually get to the desktop)

The requirements for #3 can vary wildly, depending on your network configuration, your ISP, etc.

For example, I have a "static IP" address for my house. I have a dedicated firewall device (SonicWALL) between my DSL "modem" and the rest of the LAN. On the SonicWALL, I "opened" port 26755 for TCP traffic, and "mapped" it to the LAN IP address of the PC that's running Win500. If you were to run my Remote Monitoring Client from anywhere in the world, you could set the Server Address to home.starrsoft.com and the Server Port to 26755. When you click the "START" button, you'll be monitoring my PSR-600.

btritch

The client app can be run from anywhere, as long as:
1. The machine on which you're running the client app has Internet access
2. You have Internet access on the Desktop machine at home (the machine running Win500)
3. You've "opened" or "mapped" any required ports/addresses so that incoming connection requests (from the remote client app to Win500) actually get to the desktop)

The requirements for #3 can vary wildly, depending on your network configuration, your ISP, etc.

For example, I have a "static IP" address for my house. I have a dedicated firewall device (SonicWALL) between my DSL "modem" and the rest of the LAN. On the SonicWALL, I "opened" port 26755 for TCP traffic, and "mapped" it to the LAN IP address of the PC that's running Win500. If you were to run my Remote Monitoring Client from anywhere in the world, you could set the Server Address to home.starrsoft.com and the Server Port to 26755. When you click the "START" button, you'll be monitoring my PSR-600.

I've got a DSL modem, Just the firewall that's built into the modem, What would you recommend setting it to in order to make sure it worked everytime, One certain port, Also, I noticed my primary desktop is set to obtain IP automatically, Should I set it to manual and assign one so it'll be the same everytime?

I have it working now but If I were to reboot and the IP changed I would have to update it here accordingly, Would I be better off just setting it to the same one each time?

Last edited:

DonS

I've got a DSL modem, Just the firewall that's built into the modem, What would you recommend setting it to in order to make sure it worked everytime, One certain port, Also, I noticed my primary desktop is set to obtain IP automatically, Should I set it to manual and assign one so it'll be the same everytime?

That's the "vary wildly" part I mentioned above. I have no idea how to set up your particular DSL modem / firewall to allow external (WAN) connections to the local (LAN) desktop.

As far as the desktop's IP... I'll presume (maybe incorrectly) that the desktop is getting its IP address from a DHCP server built into the DSL modem / firewall. If that's accurate, you may be able to configure that device so that it always gives the same IP address to the MAC address of the desktop (a fixed, hardware address in the desktop's Ethernet adapter). That's what I do with my SonicWALL, but, again, I haven't a clue how to set up your particular hardware.

btritch

That's the "vary wildly" part I mentioned above. I have no idea how to set up your particular DSL modem / firewall to allow external (WAN) connections to the local (LAN) desktop.

As far as the desktop's IP... I'll presume (maybe incorrectly) that the desktop is getting its IP address from a DHCP server built into the DSL modem / firewall. If that's accurate, you may be able to configure that device so that it always gives the same IP address to the MAC address of the desktop (a fixed, hardware address in the desktop's Ethernet adapter). That's what I do with my SonicWALL, but, again, I haven't a clue how to set up your particular hardware.

You're right, It's getting the IP from the modem, It's a 2 wire if it helps any, I can probably look in the settings and set it myself, What is supposed to be set, one of the particular ports just for that?

Here is how it's supposedly done on my particular model, This is what your talking about isn't it? http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21

DonS

You're right, It's getting the IP from the modem, It's a 2 wire if it helps any, I can probably look in the settings and set it myself, What is supposed to be set, one of the particular ports just for that?

Here is how it's supposedly done on my particular model, This is what your talking about isn't it? http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21

Yes, that looks like what you need. You'd set that up with a "TCP" port whose value is whatever you've set the Win500 server to use (the default is 8086). You'd also need to (I presume) tell the 2Wire device to send that particular traffic to the IP address of your desktop machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.