win 500 v 2.02 usb/com cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingolou

I am running win 500 v 2.02 and using radioshack 20-047 pc cable. I have used the cable to program my radioshack pro 106 digital scanner. Everything has always worked great for the past two years. I went to download data from my scanner to the win 500 software and this message comes up "Error: cant load the FTDI driver. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled and still not working. I see the com 3 port show up on my device manager when I connect it. so that appears to be ok. I noticed when I plug the cable into the scanner it does nothing where as before it would automatically go to the pc mode. So the bottom line is there a problem with the scanner or cable? I have tried different configurations to no avail. any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks Roy

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Couple thoughts here:

1. Does Win500 work OK in Monitor mode with your 106?
  2. There was discussion of this same issue (earlier this year?); Search the forums for "FTDI" (if you haven't already)
  3. I've noticed some updates included in MS Updates that reference FTDI drivers - do you let Windows auto-update?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
If you have the updated drivers, then go the most basic route first and replace the cable. If that works, then nothing else need be done. If not, Radio Shack will give a 30 day money back guarantee...just save the box and receipt.

Greg

mingolou

problem solved

First thanks for the quick reply's. It ended up being a a stupid oversight on my part. In the win 500 program files there are two exe. files, the regular win 500 and the win 500 com. For some reason I replaced my desktop shortcut to the win 500 regular exe where I should have been using the com file. It worked with my cable just fine after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.