Win 95 with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamint

I have a Pro 95 that I have used Win 95 to program for years. I went to make changes to my scanner and realized my old cable has the DB 9 end on it and my new computer does not have that type of socket. I tried to use a adapter to go from DP 9 to USB but Win 95 wont work. Does anyone know if the new cable from Radio Shack will work with the Pro 95 using Win 95 on a Windows 7 computer. I can't afford to update my scanner at this time so I need a way to make changes to program my scanner.
Thanks for any help you can give me
Scott

N8IAA

I have a Pro 95 that I have used Win 95 to program for years. I went to make changes to my scanner and realized my old cable has the DB 9 end on it and my new computer does not have that type of socket. I tried to use a adapter to go from DP 9 to USB but Win 95 wont work. Does anyone know if the new cable from Radio Shack will work with the Pro 95 using Win 95 on a Windows 7 computer. I can't afford to update my scanner at this time so I need a way to make changes to program my scanner.
Thanks for any help you can give me
Scott

Scott, make sure that the com port is correct for the USB cable. Also, make sure that you have all the new updates for drivers for that cable.
HTH,
Larry

kcoleman

Does anyone know if the new cable from Radio Shack will work with the Pro 95 using Win 95 on a Windows 7 computer.

Yes it will work. I have the GRE version of the cable and WIN 95 on a Windows 7 machine. Works no problem.

Good Luck...
Keith

kilowa22

Yes it will work. I have the GRE version of the cable and WIN 95 on a Windows 7 machine. Works no problem.

Good Luck...
Keith

The problem could be that win95 does not work with Win7 since it was designed for Win98/XP/2K. If the USB to serial port works with other programs and radios you should go into Windows Explorer to win95.exe file, right-click with the mouse and select trouble shoot compatibility. I was able to get win95.exe to run, but I don't have a 95 type radio available to test the com port communications.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for anything under Windows7, but I can tell you that the USB version serial cable (20-047) will work with a PRO-95 and I can tell you that I have successfully used a USB to COM port cable and a COM version scanner cable (like you have) under Windows XP Pro. Regardless you need to load the correct driver for the USB cable you're using and for Windows7, and you need to set WIN95 to the correct COM port.

kcoleman

...but I don't have a 95 type radio available to test the com port communications.

kilowa22 your reply kinda confused me that you quoted my reply. I answered the OP based on my experince...

After some explanation the OP asked. "Does anyone know if the new cable from Radio Shack will work with the Pro 95 using Win 95 on a Windows 7 computer."

I have a PRO-95, I have WIN95, I have the GRE version of the cable the op is asking about and I run it on a Windows 7 machine without any problems. So I stand by my original answer... yes it will work.

Good Luck,
Keith

panamint

Thanks for all the info. I guess I will go buy the new cable since I can not get the one using adapters to work. I got it to some how erase all the channels in my scanner but it wont let me install any thing. I have got the updated drivers for the cable but still doesn't work S off the RS to get the cable.
Thanks Scott

panamint

Well the new cable does work with Window 7 as long as you get the updated Drivers for Win 7 off the cable makers web site. You have to only check the top box on Win 95 Configuration, uncheck the other two boxes.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.