Win 96 and 97 now inop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SABRE46

I have WIN 96 and 97. Both were working fine yesterday and today neither one of them will come up. I am running windows vista and up until today they were working fine. I have deleted the programs and reinstalled fresh copies but still nothing. Any other ideas?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
When you say that, "neither one of them will come up"; just what does that mean?
  • Nothing happens when you run the program.
  • The HD has activity but nothing on the screen.
  • The program presents a box and then closes.
Try and explain a little better what happens. Also, you might mention what other programs you loaded between the time that they worked and when they stopped working, don't forget any "active content" that you may have allowed.

SABRE46

registered copies, no new programs installed, when I bring them up, all it says is that Win 96 (or 97 for that matter) has stopped working and windows will try to find a solution.

SCPD

QRT
try downloading again & a fresh install?:). also do a disk defrag, empty your cache & temp files, also ur AV or firewall could be blocking something

brandon

Database Admin
Try running as administrator (right click Win96 icon, run as admin...) and see if you get the same thing.

SABRE46

Basically I click to open the program and it gives me the error message that win 96 or 97 has stopped working and that windows is trying to find a solution...Its wierd since it was working just fine the other day.

DonS

It sounds like an update to your computer (e.g. Microsoft's update of Vista, or maybe your virus scanner's periodic update) has caused some incompatibility.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help much. The only Vista machine I have available is my wife's new-ish laptop, and I'd get in some serious trouble if I commandeered it to debug Vista problems.

SABRE46

It sounds like an update to your computer (e.g. Microsoft's update of Vista, or maybe your virus scanner's periodic update) has caused some incompatibility.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help much. The only Vista machine I have available is my wife's new-ish laptop, and I'd get in some serious trouble if I commandeered it to debug Vista problems.
Not married but I completely understand. I have some time to play with it tonight and if I figure it out, I will let you guys know.

bezking

Right Click Win96, hit "Properties", Hit "Compatibility", check "Run this program in compatibility mode for", select Windows XP (or windows 2000, if XP is not listed), click OK, start Win96 and see what happens.

Do you have a 64 bit processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.