Win 97 for my pro-164 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's not enough information here to diagnose the issue. If you have a serial port on your PC (newer ones don't) it should be just a matter of pointing Win97 to it, but if you're using a USB converter, there's more to it. Are you using the RS or GRE cable? Did you check the COM port that was assigned, and make Win97 point to it? Did you check it was even available and not used by something else (some USB devices load their drivers and stay resident, even if they're not being used)? Did you load up drivers?

This article from our wiki discusses USB connections to scanners...(anything in blue is a link)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

I see that with the 164, if you are using the USB RS cable, you don't use the pigtail. Is that what you are trying to do here?

More details needed 73 Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164 & win97

I'm trying to use win97 to program my scanner. It can not find a com port??? Can anyone help me?? Thank you Mike
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Since you are programming a PRO-164 (which is the same radio as the GRE PSR-300), you will need to use the USB version cable. That cable is available at Radio Shack (20-047) for $35. Plug in the cable (before running any software) and let it install its drivers.

Once the cable is plugged in, and the drivers are installed; go to control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> ports and look to see what com port was assigned to the cable. Then click on configuration -> serial port in WIN97 and set it to the same port.

That should do it. Note that when uploading or downloading with the PRO-164, there is a separate option to do so depending on which version of firmware your scanner has. Most will have the newest version.

winddancer11

serial port

I'm trying to use win97 to program my scanner. It can not find a com port??? Can anyone help me?? Thank you Mike

I just recently found out that win97 has to have a serial port to communicate which u have to have a usb to serial port adapter, but after talking to the computer store they said that the cable used fo the 164 cannot be adapted to a usb to serial adapter so I have to find software that supports a usb communication. I suggest u do the same.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
???

I just recently found out that win97 has to have a serial port to communicate which u have to have a usb to serial port adapter,
The RS cable 20-047 is a USB to serial port converter as well.

but after talking to the computer store they said that the cable used fo the 164 cannot be adapted to a usb to serial adapter so I have to find software that supports a usb communication. I suggest u do the same.
Perhaps you do not have the latest version of WIN97. Perhaps you do not have the 20-047 USB version cable. I have actually used the COM version cable and a generic USB to COM converter under XP Pro with no problems. Something is not adding up here.

winddancer11

win97

I realized after further investigation that the computer store was wrong about the win97, but I still had trouble with the initiation of the software probably through my own errors, or did not have the right driver,anyhow I got frustrated and invested in the arc300 software and drivers and had instant success. sorry but I'm happy now. I kind of like the setup alittle better also.

DaleRay

Hi- can Anyone tell Me how to open a com port? I have a Radio Shack pro-163 & pro-2055, I have a new Computer that is using Windows 7 I have used the Win 97 program on Windows XP and all was well, but on My new Computer its telling Me that No com ports found, I have done everything I can think of. I did call Microsoft and there say it They could fix it-that something They would do, but I would have to pay $160.00 or so before They would tell how to fix it-Please can Anyone Help?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hi- can Anyone tell Me how to open a com port? I have a Radio Shack pro-163 & pro-2055, I have a new Computer that is using Windows 7 I have used the Win 97 program on Windows XP and all was well, but on My new Computer its telling Me that No com ports found, I have done everything I can think of. I did call Microsoft and there say it They could fix it-that something They would do, but I would have to pay $160.00 or so before They would tell how to fix it-Please can Anyone Help?
What cable are you using? The COM version or the USB version? Is the cable plugged in?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the Radio Shack USB to Scanner cable and Yes its plugged in, it work with xp but not with windows 7
If it has a correct and functional driver working, go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports to see what COM port has been assigned to it. However, you probably need to install the correct driver for Windows7 first.

Car150

Feed Provider
RE RS Adapter and Win97 /PRO 164

Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

Since you are programming a PRO-164 (which is the same radio as the GRE PSR-300), you will need to use the USB version cable. That cable is available at Radio Shack (20-047) for $35. Plug in the cable (before running any software) and let it install its drivers.

Once the cable is plugged in, and the drivers are installed; go to control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager -> ports and look to see what com port was assigned to the cable. Then click on configuration -> serial port in WIN97 and set it to the same port.

That should do it. Note that when uploading or downloading with the PRO-164, there is a separate option to do so depending on which version of firmware your scanner has. Most will have the newest version.[/QUOTE

Saw your note and I have the the RS #20-047 Serial Cable, Win 97 installed and trying to upload the program.....have the correct COM port on my laptop...but scanner does not seem to be seeing/accepting the data. I bought this unit for a friend at a RS...and it had been returned ...but they guaranteed it..for 2 years. I cannot seem to be be able to go into it...to see if there is a reason why it will not accept the WIN97 data ? ANY SUGGESTIONS ?????]

Status
Not open for further replies.