Win 97: How do I properly program motorola systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denton

Someone shared their p97 file with me and I'm trying to figure out where they got the info to program the MOT systems.

One of the MOT systems programmed is the York Region System - http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=1572

He programmed the 3 Primary Control Channels into the first 3 channels. I'm clear with this part. I'm a bit unclear on how he programmed the talkgroups on the bottom right part of the channels tab.

Here are a few talkgroups programmed into this bank:

District-1 00048
District-2 00080
District-3 00112

The database shows the following info:

DEC HEX Description
48 003 District 1 (Note 1)
80 005 District 2 (Note 2)
112 007 District 3 (Note 1)

It looks like he's just adding 0's in front of the DEC when programming the ID field. Is this correct? Do I need to use the HEX value when programming and what does the Note 1, Note 2 mean?

rpowley

The extra 0's are ok and don't add the HEX values when using DEC values. I'm not familiar with what "note" is referring to.

Denton

How would I know what to enter in the "MOT Custom Trunking Table" and in the "Fleet Map"?

rpowley

Denton said:
How would I know what to enter in the "MOT Custom Trunking Table" and in the "Fleet Map"?

Below is an excerpt of the WIN 97 Help File: Check out the underlined stuff
Fleet Map:
When programming a Motorola Type-I or mixed Type-I/II system, you’ll need to enter the system’s fleet map. This data tells the scanner how to interpret and display talk group ID values. You enter this data in the section labeled Fleet Map.
You have two options when entering the fleet map:
a. Select a “predefined” map from the Presets list. This is useful if the system uses one of the maps of the form E1P7. If the system doesn’t use one of these common maps, or if you don’t know what preset to use, you can enter the fleet map explicitly as described in the next option.
b. Enter the fleet map explicitly. There are 8 “blocks”, and each block has a “size code” from S00 to S14. Starting with Block 0 and working up to Block 7, select the appropriate size code from the drop-down list. Note that some of the size codes (e.g. S12, S13, and S14) use more than one block. S12 occupies 2 blocks, so if you set one block to S12, one other block will be set to S12 as well.
Note: When programming a Motorola Type-II system, make sure all blocks are set to size code S00.
IMPORTANT:When programming a trunked system (especially a Motorola system), program the fleet map before entering talk group IDs.

Trunking Tables:
Motorola trunking systems use these tables to map “channel numbers” to voice frequencies. When the scanner receives, on the system’s control channel, information about a transmission for a talk group that it “wants” to hear, it uses the channel number sent over the control channel to calculate the appropriate voice frequency. It then tunes to that voice frequency and lets you hear the audio.
Most Motorola systems can be monitored using the radio’s default settings. However, some systems (especially UHF systems) require that you set specific “trunking table” information so that the scanner can calculate the correct voice frequencies.
The Win97 Channels page sections that let you control these calculations are:
· MOT 800 MHz Lets you choose Normal and Splinter for Motorola 800 MHz trunking systems. Splinter systems are sometimes used along border areas.
· MOT Custom Trunking Table Allows you to enter up to three sets of Base/Offset/Step information for Motorola VHF and UHF (400 MHz) systems.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Actually Don's software left fills zeros when putting in TG ID#'s. The radio doesn't care about them when entering by hand.

DonS

loumaag said:
Actually Don's software left fills zeros when putting in TG ID#'s. The radio doesn't care about them when entering by hand.
The radio left-fills after entry, as well. If you enter "48" in either Win97 or the PRO-97, you'll see "00048" as soon as you hit Enter.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DonS said:
The radio left-fills after entry, as well. If you enter "48" in either Win97 or the PRO-97, you'll see "00048" as soon as you hit Enter.
Yes, I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I was just trying to say to just enter the number and it would work fine.

Denton

rpowley, I did read the help file but thanks for underlining the important parts. So if I don't know what preset to use, I can just program it manually starting off with S00 in block 0? Is there any way I can find out which preset needs to be used? I haven't seen this info listed anywhere in the database.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Denton said:
rpowley, I did read the help file but thanks for underlining the important parts. So if I don't know what preset to use, I can just program it manually starting off with S00 in block 0? Is there any way I can find out which preset needs to be used? I haven't seen this info listed anywhere in the database.
The default is Type II. There are very few Type I or Hybrid systems out there. If you start with a blank slate, and you are programming a hybrid or Type I system, you can change them then. Using the "presets" has been a pretty much useless tool for years now.

Denton

Is it possible to request a p97 file that has different types of trunking systems programmed on it so that I can take a look at it?

scnnr

Denton said:
Is it possible to request a p97 file that has different types of trunking systems programmed on it so that I can take a look at it?

Denton take a look at the WpgMb file that I made It is for Winnipeg and has some LTR systems in there also. You will see how I have mixed trunked with Conventional frrequencies. http://radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36131

Randy

Last edited:

scnnr

Denton here is a quick p97 file I just made up for the T.O. area. As I don't live there I can't vouch for how accurate it is.

Randy

Last edited:

Denton

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. I'm going to take a look at it later on tonight.

Denton

I haven't been able to take a look at the script until now. This file gives me a better idea on how to program trunked systems but I noticed that you always used the same info in the MOT Custom Trunking Table.

Status
Not open for further replies.