WIN 97/PRO 97 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

I have a problem with my pro 97 win 97 software. I have trunking LTR banks saved in the scanner that I have found by searching and when I open win97 to edit things on it it tells me that 0-02-002 etc. is not a valid format it must be in the A-AA-AAA or AAAAAA format..I have tried both ways and neither way will accept it, If there is no way edit it in the software with it and I erase them from the software, How Can I get them back, What should I do... I posted in the Radio Shack Scanner Forum and They sent me here because we thought it was a software glitch.. What should I do to fix it?
Thanks!

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Win97 Question

I just started messing around with an LTR system on my PRO-2055 using Win97. I suggest you check all the settings as follows;

1. On the "Channels" Tab, make sure "Type" is set to LTR.
2. Make sure your frequencies are correct and in order, in the right channels.
3. Under "Rx Mode", those frequencies should be "LTR".
4. On the trunk side of the page, make sure the "DEC" button is selected.
5. Under the "ID" tab, make sure your UID follows proper format, which yours seems to, AND, (and this has happened to me,) make sure you don't have any "invisible spaces". By that I mean, make sure you didn't accidently hit the space bar before, within, or after the UID.
6. Make sure your frequncy entries don't have those spaces either.

I can't tell you how much time I wasted on ALL conventional and trunked systems because of setting errors or (most annoying) typing errors. Good Luck!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Ltr

btritch said:
I have a problem with my pro 97 win 97 software. I have trunking LTR banks saved in the scanner that I have found by searching and when I open win97 to edit things on it it tells me that 0-02-002 etc. is not a valid format it must be in the A-AA-AAA or AAAAAA format..I have tried both ways and neither way will accept it, If there is no way edit it in the software with it and I erase them from the software, How Can I get them back, What should I do... I posted in the Radio Shack Scanner Forum and They sent me here because we thought it was a software glitch.. What should I do to fix it?
Thanks!

I hit this in programming manually.
The talkgroup trunking type must be set to LTR. And manually the Pro-97 doesn't want the dashes in the TGID.

Also I've seen an LTR system where it sends the cwid on TGID 0-07-255 and all other channels (0-0x-255) the Pro-97 will not allow a 255 setting for the end number.

btritch

Ltr

NW0U said:
I hit this in programming manually.
The talkgroup trunking type must be set to LTR. And manually the Pro-97 doesn't want the dashes in the TGID.

Also I've seen an LTR system where it sends the cwid on TGID 0-07-255 and all other channels (0-0x-255) the Pro-97 will not allow a 255 setting for the end number.

So how should I fix that?

btritch

I took the 03-03-255, 05-05-255 and 07-07-255 groups out and it accepted the others, however, these are the main three.. What will I have to do? Go back and add those in when they key up again?

N1BHH

LTR systems don't have talk groups higher than 253, 254 and 255 as the last three digits. Usually a 253, 254 or 255 are for the morse code identifier. I don't put them in. I think that the software is designed to reject that talk group out of hand. All the morse identifier does is send the call sign of the system.

btritch

And most of the time when the clicking is going on (about every 4seconds or so) this is the three that pop up or when the morse code goes across the system this is the one that pops up. Now I know why this is.. Wonder why they do that anyway? Anyways, it's accepting them as long as I leave those off.. Thanks For The Help All!!

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber

N1BHH said:
Usually a 253, 254 or 255 are for the morse code identifier. I don't put them in. All the morse identifier does is send the call sign of the system.

Folks- don't underestimate the information that's contained in the ID! With that ID you can look up the info on the FCC database and learn a great deal about the system such as possible additional channels, location of the transmitters and other systems the same company might own/operate. (But of course you won't want to listen to it after you know what it's saying.)

(Knowing morse has proven handy for me in lots of ways throughout my life. From reading blinking light signals on Navy ships to verifying nav aid ids while flying light aircraft, to being able to use radio system id for further research. Code has been very good for me!)

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
NW0U said:
Folks- don't underestimate the information that's contained in the ID! With that ID you can look up the info on the FCC database and learn a great deal about the system such as possible additional channels, location of the transmitters and other systems the same company might own/operate. (But of course you won't want to listen to it after you know what it's saying.)

(Knowing morse has proven handy for me in lots of ways throughout my life. From reading blinking light signals on Navy ships to verifying nav aid ids while flying light aircraft, to being able to use radio system id for further research. Code has been very good for me!)

Can you elaborate on that......If btritch gave ya an ID could you teach us how to look it up in the FCC database?

n2mdk

I think they are talking about the System ID a TGID has no meaning outside of the system. The Ames and ISU systems have TGIDs that are the same.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
n2mdk said:
I think they are talking about the System ID a TGID has no meaning outside of the system. The Ames and ISU systems have TGIDs that are the same.

I was hoping to learn something new.........

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
ID vs TGID

bubbaearle said:
Can you elaborate on that......If btritch gave ya an ID could you teach us how to look it up in the FCC database?

The discussion seems confused between the two.

The ID I was referring to was the FCC Callsign (Station identifier) which is often sent in morse code. The system I'm working on currently sends: WNWJ207 in code.

A talkgroup ID is an arbitrary assignment by the system administrator. Blocks of TGIDs may be assigned to departments. This is of no interest or involvement by the FCC so they have nothing of use in their database.

Status
Not open for further replies.