Win500 and WINE under Linux - partial success

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone2000

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
36
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Howdy. I have Win500_COM.exe running under WINE 1.1.34. I installed, with winetricks, dotnet11 and mfc42 . Everything appears to work, including uploading and downloading the scanner config, except for:

* RR Database download (have Premium subscription, get a "RRLib::GetCountries - There is an error in XML document (1, 8362)"
* V-Scanner folders config causes program unhandled exception.
* Audio. When I start monitoring, with Audio selected, I get "Win500_COM - WAVEIN:20:The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine the supported formats." I get the same error with Win500Client.exe when I point it at Don's machine over the Internet.

Monitor works, and I confirmed that upload works. I also posted a "Silver" WineHQ AppDB entry: WineHQ - Win500 . There are minor UI annoyances and CPU pinning at 100% when monitoring, but I can get it running for most of my purposes. Of course, the RR integration would be reallly nice to have working. :)

Anyone make better progress than this with WINE and Win500? Anyone have RR DB integration working?

Happy Holidays!
 

Attachments

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
22,072
Location
Bowie, Md.
Are you running the latest version of Win500? There were some changes a couple of weeks back, and I think that XML error is related, though I admit I'm not entirely sure about that....

When you do get things running under WINE, a wiki article detailing what you did would, I'm sure, be welcomed by other WINE users.

73 Mike
 

someone2000

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
36
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you running the latest version of Win500? There were some changes a couple of weeks back, and I think that XML error is related, though I admit I'm not entirely sure about that....

When you do get things running under WINE, a wiki article detailing what you did would, I'm sure, be welcomed by other WINE users.

73 Mike
Yep. I check Don's site every day to see if there's a new version to try that might get me past some of these issues. I'm running Win500 1.91. I just bumped Wine to 1.1.35 yesterday, wiped my wine setup and started from scratch to see if that fixed anything, but no dice.

Once I get it running, indeed, I'll make a wiki article on what I did.

Cheers!
 

someone2000

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
36
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
DonS?

P.S. I'm totally willing to help Starrsoft with getting to the bottom of the various problems encountered with Win500 under WINE. WINE is capable of generating voluminous debugging logs, which I'll happily provide on request.

I e-mailed Starrsoft a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet. It is the holidays, so I completely understand. :) Plus, there may not be a terribly large "market" for Starrsoft to make this worth the time, so I understand not wanting to invest precious time in this, too. But I'm willing to pay once it's reasonably functional, at least.

Yes, a F/OSS user who is willing to pay. Incredible, yes? ;)
 

someone2000

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
36
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Wine 1.1.37 status report

Just version bumped WINE to 1.1.37, released a few days ago. Wiped .wine, and did the following winetricks:

./winetricks dotnet11 allfonts fontfix mfc42 jet mdac28 native_mdac

I got more progress with RR DB downloads, but it is even more mysterious. Randomly, I either get:

* Nothing loads (immediate XML error after pressing START, then instant "Operation Timed Out"), or
* Downloads Countries, I select a country, then same errors on State download, or
* Downloads States, I select a state, then the same errors in Counties.

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to whether I'll get an error, or get a bit further. I've not been able to get counties at all, and I've tried several dozen times.

I even tried setting the encoding to UTF-8:

env LANG="en_US.UTF-8" LANGUAGE="en_US:en" wine C:\users\<username>\Win500\Win500_COM.EXE

Note that Win500 does seem to care about using windows paths, rather than Linux paths, when run from Wine. When I run from Linux paths (like /home/<username>/tmp/Win500/Win500_COM.EXE or similar), it NEVER successfully connects to RR (though wireshark does show a completed HTTP SOAP transaction).

Well, I guess I hope for to much to make it work in WINE at the moment. If anyone has made any greater progress, please chime in! :)
 

someone2000

Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2009
Messages
36
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
WINE 1.1.39 status report: Win500 and RR SUCCESS!

I just bumped wine to 1.1.39, and cleared my .wine and reconfigured. I was able to download talkgroups and sites from RR! No nasty XML errors. Dunno what magic happened, but there were some XML fixes in this WINE bump (and MSIs seem to finish faster?). Guess I have to pay DonS some $$ soon... ;)

Here's a quick script I wrote while I was testing all these WINE upgrades.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

# Use at your own risk. Read the code and know what you're getting into.
# NEVER RUN THIS SCRIPT OR WINE AS ROOT

workdir=~/trickstmp
trickspaks="allfonts vcrun6sp6 fontfix mfc42 ddr=opengl msxml3 msxml4 msxml6 dotnet11 dotnet20 dotnet30"
winedir=~/.wine

echo -n "Type YES to delete $winedir:"
read answer
echo $answer

if [ "$answer" != "YES" ]
    then exit;
fi

rm -rf $winedir.PREV
mv $winedir $winedir.PREV
mkdir $workdir
cd $workdir
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
chmod a+x winetricks 
./winetricks $trickspaks
rm winetricks
cd ../
rmdir $workdir
echo "complete"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top