win500 Client for Android - Listen anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smason

OK got my new OnePlus One today, so trying it out.
So far pretty good. Sometimes it takes a few retries to connect (at home on very good wifi)
Not real happy about the audio quality of the phone speaker, but as it's a new phone, can't say if it's the phone or not. Will try in the car plugged in to the stereo.

Entering the 63 character registration name took a boatload of retries. Finally gave up copy/pasting and typed it in. :)

Thanks for doing this! I had been hoping for one on IOS for years, glad I just switched to Android :)

visegrip72

(thanks for registering!)

Interesting. I just tried your registration and key and it seemed to work fine with copy and paste for me first try, but could be how I did it, I texted it to my phone from the info I had, each in separate texts, then copied the text content. At least it worked for you in the end.

As for the sound. Do a quick test. Start up the windows Win500 client on the same machine. Hit connect and you should hear the sound being sent to the client. If it sounds a ton better, then it could be phone or app related. Also, try increasing the timeout and delay factor in the advanced settings. You could also make sure compressed audio is checked in the win500 software. I never could hear a difference, but it used a TON more bandwidth.

The timeout will help with the retries in connecting too. I need to have mine at around 25 if I am out of the house and using 4g.

visegrip72

I want to make sure that anyone who has tried the app, or registered it and has issues, please let me know. So far I know the software does not work on a Blackberry Q10. I also have a user that the software was working great, but now is getting crashes that I am trying to figure out why.

I am also getting ready to start up working on an update that will include a server list to choose from. No clue when that will be done, as other stuff is going on again now.

baybum

Android versions

For everyone who is running this APP with no problems...what version of Android are you running, and what type device, phone or tablet.?

For anyone having problems, what version of Android are you running?

Thanks

W8VFD

Feed Provider
I've downloaded the latest version and so far NO problems with it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Android Version 4.4.2

smason

Feature request if I may...

1 - Beep on disconnect - If I'm driving and my phone is out of sight, I'd like an audible indication to know if I lose connection rather than wondering why there's been no traffic on the radio for a while.

2- Configurable auto-reconnect. If connection lost, try one or more automatic reconnects.

Thanks, loving it!

Last edited:

smason

For everyone who is running this APP with no problems...what version of Android are you running, and what type device, phone or tablet.?

For anyone having problems, what version of Android are you running?

Thanks

OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 CyanogenMod 11.0-XNPH38R

No problems

visegrip72

Feature request if I may...
1 - Beep on disconnect - If I'm driving and my phone is out of sight, I'd like an audible indication to know if I lose connection rather than wondering why there's been no traffic on the radio for a while.

2- Configurable auto-reconnect. If connection lost, try one or more automatic reconnects.

Thanks, loving it!

Ooooo good ones!

I was thinking of the auto-reconnect when a few had that other bug.
Honestly, after fixing last thing, I took a break from the code. Dang thing works - Don't mess with it!
I do want to add the server list instead of just home/away.
I think I will add both of these too, they should not be too hard to do, the auto reconnect probably needs a retry limit so it does not keep trying forever and killing the battery.

smason

Ooooo good ones!

I was thinking of the auto-reconnect when a few had that other bug.
Honestly, after fixing last thing, I took a break from the code. Dang thing works - Don't mess with it!
I do want to add the server list instead of just home/away.
I think I will add both of these too, they should not be too hard to do, the auto reconnect probably needs a retry limit so it does not keep trying forever and killing the battery.

Sounds great.
I hear you about taking a break, I'm not a programmer, but I'm in IT doing server stuff, and I do some scripting etc. and sometimes I just want to be a plumber. :)

I tweaked my router so that it redirects incoming connections on the Internet side, from inside my network back to my win500 computer, so now I don't have to switch home location on and off.

baybum

Keystroke delays

Is anyone getting this symptom?:
The APP is running for about 10 minutes. When you press a key (let's use WX), you see the scanner react immediately, but the APP takes about 10 seconds to switch to weather.
If your scanning for 20 minutes the delay increases to about 20 seconds.30 minutes, about 30 seconds.

This makes it very difficult to pause on a talkgroup.

Visegrip, I know you're taking a break...just wanted to throw this out and see if anybody had this problem and resolved it.

Thanks and what a GREAT product.

smason

Is anyone getting this symptom?:
The APP is running for about 10 minutes. When you press a key (let's use WX), you see the scanner react immediately, but the APP takes about 10 seconds to switch to weather..

Haven't noticed.
Just did a test. Restarted Win500 on the computer, and fired up the Android client, from work via the internet..
Delay from button press to seeing/hearing on the phone, 4 seconds.

Waited 10 mins, pushed WX again, still 4 seconds.
Waited another 10 mins, same.

Win500 is 2.00 Android Client is 1.1

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
How do I connect to my "server"? I have everything up and running, but I have absolutely no clue as to what to put for home address or remote address. I know my external static IP address, and my routers 192 address thingy, and the Win500client is showing client: 127.0.0.1. I port forwarded the standard port through my router, but I have no idea where I am forwarding it to, or how to access it. Any help? :-(

And I know my Android app works, because I can connect to a friends scanner online.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.