Win500: WIN500 generates exception error

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have and use all of Starrsoft's software. I have at least two USB cables including 20-047. All the programs, except WIN500, work with no issues with either cable.

First a note that this was all installed and working for years on my XP Pro system. I had to rebuild the hard drive. I have copies of everything. This is the only issue I've run into after the rebuild.

I've tried various versions of WIN500 (2.05,2.06,2.07,2.08) and they all do it. No problems with WIN92,WIN93,WIN95,WIN97.
When you try to either upload to the scanner or download from the scanner, the following exception message appears.
I'll note that I've tried various versions of the FTDI driver including 2.08 & 2.12.

BTW, I don't need comments about using a later O/S. Thanks.

Attachments

• Win500Error.PNG
    Win500Error.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 29

DJ11DLN

Maybe try changing port settings? Check and see what port your functional Starrsoft apps are using and if Win500 is trying to use a different port? Beyond that I got nuthin'.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Maybe try changing port settings? Check and see what port your functional Starrsoft apps are using and if Win500 is trying to use a different port? Beyond that I got nuthin'.
The cables appear in Device Manager with their assigned COM port. Unlike other versions of the WIN programs, WIN500 does not have a port setting. The selection "Programming Cables" invokes the same Exception error.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The cables appear in Device Manager with their assigned COM port. Unlike other versions of the WIN programs, WIN500 does not have a port setting. The selection "Programming Cables" invokes the same Exception error.
Win500 should also have a Com or Serial Port mode executable in addition to the regular version where the Com port is selected automatically.
The Com port version allows you to select a com port like the other Starrsoft programs.

Look in your Win500 folder for an application name Win500_com.exe. I don't recall when Don added that but I think he did it because of auto detection issues.
I know I've had to use the com port version before but I don't recall if my errors were the same as yours. I also use nothing but FTDI adapters when I have a choice.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Win500 should also have a Com or Serial Port mode executable in addition to the regular version where the Com port is selected automatically.
The Com port version allows you to select a com port like the other Starrsoft programs.

Look in your Win500 folder for an application name Win500_com.exe. I don't recall when Don added that but I think he did it because of auto detection issues.
I know I've had to use the com port version before but I don't recall if my errors were the same as yours. I also use nothing but FTDI adapters when I have a choice.
Kruser, THANK YOU very much!!! I've never used that exe and it hadn't dawned on me to try it. Of course it works. I am only using official cables with FTDI ICs and FTDI drivers. As written, all the cables & drivers work with other WIN programs. I can't imagine what Don is doing in WIN500 and why it is so picky.

DJ11DLN

I guess my version isn't up to date, it has the provision for setting the ports. Sorry I couldn't help.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Let me explain a few things. Don Starr has several different WINxx programs, each for a different scanner family. They include WIN92,WIN93,WIN95,WIN96,WIN97 & WIN500. I have them all and they all work except WIN500.exe.

All the programs before WIN500 required the user to select the COM port that their cable has been assigned to. It's an elusive task for some people, so I can see the desire to have the program auto-detect where the cable is. That's what WIN500 attempts to do, but is generating an error and my reason for starting this thread.

Kruser pointed out that there is WIN500_COM.exe which functions like the older programs. You must select your COM port. But, it works.

I also want to note that I have every "version" of WIN500 through 2.08. They all work the same in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.