win500 pro652

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippz

Premium Subscriber
I can not find where to change the serial com port in the win500 program. I have downloaded the cable software, checeked in device mngr and it looks good. It is serial com port 3. I can not for the life of me find it in the win500 application.
thanks (and I checked all threads with keywords)
Scott Ross

TES

I can not find where to change the serial com port in the win500 program. I have downloaded the cable software, checeked in device mngr and it looks good. It is serial com port 3. I can not for the life of me find it in the win500 application.
thanks (and I checked all threads with keywords)
Scott Ross

I doubt you'll find it unless you're running a very old—and outdated—version of the software.
From the Revision History on the Win500 page of Mr. Starr's site:

Version 1.74 2009.01.24 18:27 (GMT -0800)
  • Removed all "COM port" nonsense from the program. Win500 now automatically finds a single connected USB-Scanner Programming Cable, and will prompt you to choose between cables if you have more than one connected (with the option to remember which cable was selected).

flippz

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the quick reply. When I try to "download from the scanner" it states the serial cable is not connected, it is, the cable is in use with other (or this) device, not. Or the cable is out of date, just down loaded the unit this am? Not sure I checked all device mngr settings.
When I down loaded the ftdi software it stated I would have to assign the right port, and may not work higher than com9 port. It is assigned to port 3.

RDGDigital

In case others are reading this thread and want to know how to do this...

In the folder where Win500 is installed is a file called "Win500_COM.exe". Run this program and you will find several new entries on the "Configuration" menu. One is called "Serial Port" where you can choose a different Serial Port (COM Port) to use.

There is also a menu entry called "Find PSR-500/600 Serial Port...". Selecting this will attempt to automatically find the correct Serial Port and set it in the software. And, yes, this will work for the newer Whistler and Radio Shack scanners, e.g., the PRO-651, PRO-652, WS1040 and the WS1065.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.