Win500 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd901

When I try to Re-assigning Object ID's I get an error..One or more of the Resulting ID's is already in use...What am I doing wrong

JoeyC

You should not have to reassign Object IDs manually. Put your objects in the order you wish, then go to ALL OBJECTS, highlight everything, right click and choose Reassign Object IDs starting with 0.

If you still get the error then choose a number higher than any ID you may have in the programming to start with. (I always choose 9000). Then reorder from there. At that point, you should be able to reassign them all again starting at 0. That is, unless you have more than 8999 objects in your programming.

Hopefully that is clear as mud.

D

DaveNF2G

There is a simpler explanation. Global object ID reassignment can only be done successfully from the All Objects tab. The reason is that the IDs are only reassigned to objects that are currently listed, but the software checks for duplicate IDs in all objects programmed. So, you have to be sure they are all listed so there are no conflicts.

RKG

"Global object ID reassignment can only be done successfully from the All Objects tab."

That's a bit of an overstatement, inadvertent I'm sure. You can do an object ID reassignment from any object screen, but some screens may not reveal the source of a re-assignment error.

The error happens because you have requested reassignment parameters that would result in one or more of the selected objects having an object ID number that conflicts with another object, whose ID number is not within the scope of the reassignment request.

For instance: you have only five conventional objects programmed. They are ID'd as 0000 through 0004. You select objects 0002 through 0004 and ask to have them reassigned with IDs starting at 0000 and incrementing by one. This will produce an error because the request would end up with two objects 0000 and two objects 0001.

Any object ID reassignment error can be detected by visual inspection, but it may take a while. While not the only way to handle this issue, here is what I do:

Trunked systems are segregated. Each trunked system object is given an even hundreds object ID, working backward from 1600, and leaving enough space for its daughter talkgroup object IDs. E.g., System 1 is ID 1200, System 2 is ID 1400, System 3 is ID 1600.

For each system, I select its talkgroup objects as a group and reassign as xx01, step 1.

Now, presuming fewer conventional objects than the lowest ID of the trunked system object IDs, I go to the conventional screen, set it for all, selected all (<Ctrl><A>) and reassign starting with 0000 and step 1.

I know it sounds complicated, but given the really efficient editing features of Win500, the foregoing is easier and faster to do than to describe.

D

DaveNF2G

"Global object ID reassignment can only be done successfully from the All Objects tab."

That's a bit of an overstatement, inadvertent I'm sure. You can do an object ID reassignment from any object screen, but some screens may not reveal the source of a re-assignment error.

Not at all. You have to read all of the words. I said that global reassignment can only be done from the All Objects tab. Your message describes partial reassignment techniques.

RKG

Not at all. You have to read all of the words. I said that global reassignment can only be done from the All Objects tab. Your message describes partial reassignment techniques.

OK, now I see what you were saying.

The trouble with reassigning the object IDs of a group comprising fewer than all programmed objects and doing it in the All Objects tab is that you have to select the group using the <Shift> and arrow keys (introducing the potential for errors), whereas if you do it in a window that already selects the group of interest (such as the talkgroup objects of a trunked system or the conventional members of a given scan list), you can select your group using <Ctrl><A>.

You are quite correct, though, that while I was thinking of "global" to refer to a batch process applied to a constituent group, a truly "global" adjustment, applied to the universe of objects, would require using the All Objects screen.

DonS

When I've reassigned Object IDs, I've done it like this:
  1. All Objects tab: select all, then reassign them starting at 10000.
  2. TSYS tab: assign each TSYS to some "short" Object ID (e.g. 0100, 0200, 0300, etc.)
  3. TSYS tab, for each TSYS: select all TGRPs and reassign to a range corresponding to the TSYS (e.g. 0101-0199, 0201-0299, etc.)
  4. CONV tab: select all, reassign to some "high" range (e.g. start at 1000)

DonS

If you're getting the "already in use" message when you try to reassign to new object IDs (where the new IDs start at zero), then a) you already have an object with ID zero and b) you are not selecting that object in the set of objects to reassign.

For example, if I have objects with IDs 0000 through 0005, I select objects 0001 through 0005 and try to reassign starting at 0, I'll get that error: I already have object ID 0000, and I did not select it for reassignment. The "reassignment" operation cannot create a new object ID 0000.

sfd901

Reassigning

I tried selecting my first conventional object Id which is 00008 and I keep getting the error...One or more of the object id's is already in use. I tried to start there and also at 00000. Same error. What am I doing wrong?

DonS

I tried selecting my first conventional object Id which is 00008 and I keep getting the error...One or more of the object id's is already in use. I tried to start there and also at 00000. Same error. What am I doing wrong?

Without knowing exactly what Object IDs you're selecting for reassignment and exactly what Object IDs you have in your .P500 file, it's hard to say exactly what you're doing wrong. All we can say is that you're selecting some number <n> of objects, trying to reassign them starting with new ID <m>, and you already have some other (not-selected) object whose ID is between <m> and <m+n-1>.

If you post your .P500 file and tell us exactly what you're doing, it may help us find a solution to the problem.

sfd901

Error message

Ok Don this is the file I am having problems with. For example I highlite all the conventional object ID's, I go to reassign ID's , open it slect starting number either 00000 or the currect 1st ID 00008 click ok and I get the error

JoeyC

Ok Don this is the file I am having problems with. For example I highlite all the conventional object ID's, I go to reassign ID's , open it slect starting number either 00000 or the currect 1st ID 00008 click ok and I get the error

If you are only choosing the conventional stuff and trying to reorder them the conflict is coming from your TSYS (or other) objects.

You are telling the software to reorder starting at 0 and increment by 1 when one or more of those resulting numbers is already taken by another non conventional object. Thats why you should be doing this in the ALL OBJECTS tab, as has already been suggested or in chunks as DonS has already described.

Last edited:

JoeyC

I could not reproduce your error, I checked your file and reordered it without a problem.
UNLESS, you are trying to select only the conventional freqs from the All Objects tab. That is not going to work, for the same reasons already stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.