Win500 Programming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I'm having 2 problems with downloading my file to my 500. The first one is that I have a mult-site TRS in 2 scanlists. On my win500 file, I labeled them differently to distinguish b/n the two. Then I programmed the separate frequencies frequencies into both scanlists. Then I assigned the talk-groups to both scanlists. When I go back to review the frequencies for the TRS in my radio, the same frequencies are entered into the scanlists of the radio, although does not appear to be in the win500 file.

The second problem I am having is also with a multi-site TRS. This one has 5 diff. sites. I named them all CVPD(central va. planning district) and the locations: CVPD- Stewartsville, CVPD Bedford, etc. However when it gets to the radio all of the banks are showing CVPD Stewartsville.

I can't seem to figure out what I've done wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Todd

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
O.K., I seemed to have screwed up big time. I just check the frequencies for the CVPD and now realize that all 5 scanlist have the same control channel frequencies in those, as well. What did I do wrong?

DonS

A scan list should't have any control channel frequencies. A scan list should only contain talkgroups ("TGRP" objects), and each TGRP should be associated with a single trunking system ("TSYS" object). The TSYS, which is not a member of any scan list, is what contains the control channel frequencies.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
The frequencies I have are located under "system frequencies". I have a list of talk groups for the systems and have checked the boxes to assign them to scanlists 6, 12, 13, 14 & 15. For some reason the system frequencies for the 1st system are defaulting for all of the scanlists.

I copied and pasted all of the talk groups to each bank (but that uses a lot of memory). Then I uploaded to the scanner, but still had the same problem. I have just deselected the other groups from each individual scanlists and the system frequencies appear to have uploaded like they should be. However like I said I've wasted a lot of memory this way. I think I've done something wrong and win500 and the psr500 weren't meant to do this.

DonS

If you'll post your P500 file here (you may have to rename it to end with a .ZIP extension so the forum will accept it as an attachment), along with a description of what it contains and what you want to do, I'll take a look at it.

It sounds like you have a multi-site system that you've entered as multiple TSYS objects, which you probably don't want to do.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Don,

Great customer service. Thanks.

I've never attached anything to a forum before, so hopefully it's here. Scanlists 6, 12, 13, 14 & 15 (they "landed" out of order as an after thought) are the CVPD system that I was referring to. I'm having the same problem with scanlists 11 & 19 (va stars system). I've also just realized that I'm also having the same problem with the Richmond, Chesterfield & Henrico system in scanlists 16, 17, & 18.

I'm hoping to be able to enter each talkgroup a single time and attach it to multiple scanlists. It seems that if I associate a talkgroup with a scanlist, it defaults to the frequencies under "system frequencies" for the first scanlists. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but for the life of me, can't figure out what it is.

Again, thanks for your help.
Todd

Attachments

• Smith Mt Lake Area.zip
    55.4 KB · Views: 22

DonS

Using just the talkgroups in the "CVPD-STWRTSVILLE" TSYS as an example...

It looks like you have TGRP objects in that TSYS that really belong to another TSYS. For example, you have a bunch of TGRPs tagged "BEDFORD ..." in the "CVPD-STWRTSVILLE" TSYS, but you also have a "CVPD- BEDFORD" TSYS.

Presuming the TGRPs above really belong to the "BEDFORD" TSYS....
1. In the list of Trunking Systems, click on the "CVPD-STWRTSVILLE" TSYS line. You should see all 137 TGRP objects appear in the list below
2. In the list of Talkgroups, select all of the TGRP objects that really belong to the "BEDFORD" TSYS
3. On the Edit menu, select "Cut", and answer "Yes" in the prompt that appears. The selected TGRPs will be removed from the "STWRTSVILLE" TSYS.
4. In the list of Trunking Systems, click on the "CVPD- BEDFORD" TSYS line. The list of TGRPs will be empty.
5. Click inside the empty TGRP list
6. From the Edit menu, select "Paste". The TGRPs that you removed from the STWRTSVILLE TSYS will be added to the BEDFORD TSYS.

Repeat the above for all the other TGRP objects that are in the STWRTSVILLE TSYS, moving them to the "correct" TSYS.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that is the problem. The TRS is a 5 site system. I haven't listened to it much (I'm going in a few days), but I think all of the talkgroups are simulcasts across all the tower sites.

Shouldn't I be able to create talkgroup objects and assign them to multiple scanlists (all 5 sites) and have the talkgroups attach to the system frequencies for each site? Right now, it's defaulting to Stewartsville for each scanlist.

I guess another question... and this may simplify things, is can I create a multi-site TYS for an EDACS system? I don't remember the manual covering that, but I don't have it with me. If you can, I think that would solve the CVPD problem by putting system frequencies into a single scanlist along with the talkgroups.

I am still having the system frequencies problem with VA STARS scanlists and Richmond, Henrico & Chesterfield scanlists. I feel like there's a mistake there I made somewhere, but I can't find it.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I started a new file from scratch and I am still having the same problem. Shouldn't I be able to duplicate talkgroups onto more than one scanlist with different system frequencies?

DonS

You can create multiple TSYS objects (which your attached file above has), then create TGRP objects for each TSYS. The TGRP objects are then assigned to scan lists.

Your file above has all of the TGRP objects in the same TSYS.

DonS

tglendye said:
I don't think that is the problem. The TRS is a 5 site system. I haven't listened to it much (I'm going in a few days), but I think all of the talkgroups are simulcasts across all the tower sites.

Shouldn't I be able to create talkgroup objects and assign them to multiple scanlists (all 5 sites) and have the talkgroups attach to the system frequencies for each site? Right now, it's defaulting to Stewartsville for each scanlist.
It's "defaulting to Stewartsville" for each TGRP because all of the TGRPs are associated with the "CVPD-STWRTSVILLE" trunking system. If you want the various TGRPs to use system frequencies from the other "CVPD- xxxx" TSYS objects, you need to move those TGRPs to those TSYSs as I described above.

I guess another question... and this may simplify things, is can I create a multi-site TYS for an EDACS system?
No, you can't create multi-site EDACS TSYS objects. The reason is that EDACS system frequencies must be put in the correct "LCN" positions, and multiple sites will likely use the same positions. Of course, if all the sites used exactly the same frequencies in exactly the same LCN positions, it would work.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. I think I have it fixed now- I do have talk groups copied to each TYS. From what I am understanding, each talkgroup should have a new object ID. I've attached a new file. If you have time would you take a look?

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
oops.. forgot the attachment.

Attachments

• New Smith Mt. Lake Area.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 16

DonS

tglendye said:
Thanks for your help. I think I have it fixed now- I do have talk groups copied to each TYS. From what I am understanding, each talkgroup should have a new object ID. I've attached a new file. If you have time would you take a look?
I see that you copied all of the TGRPs from the STWRTSVILLE system to all of the other CVPD-xxxx systems...

Do you expect to hear all of those talkgroups on every "site"? If not, then you don't need all of the TGRP objects in every TSYS; you'd only need, in each TSYS, the TGRPs you expect to hear on that TSYS.

If, however, you do expect to hear all of the TGRPs on every "site", then what you have now should be OK.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I'll check to see if all of the talkgroups a casted across each site. I was thinking they would be... but then I really don't know. Thanks for your help!

DonS

fmon said:
I get an invalid Archive notice when attempting to open the zip.
It's not a ZIP.

Todd followed my suggestion above, where I said to attach the P500 file as a ZIP file to get around the board's restrictions on allowed "file types".

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Funny, I just tried to download it as well and I get the same error. I'll try attach it again. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll send it to you if you want it.

Edit: must have been attaching it when Don wrote the post

Attachments

• New Smith Mt. Lake Area.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 8

DonS

Try right-clicking on the attachment, select "Save Target As..." (or whatever your flavor of browser has as an equivalent), then change the "save as" filename to end with ".P500".

It's a P500 file, not a ZIP file.

Status
Not open for further replies.