Win500: Recording Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyS

Trying to get the audio from my Pro-106 recorded using Win500. I have the object/channel's "Record" feature enabled, as well as having "Record Audio" enabled in the Monitor/Control section. I have the file location pointed to a partition with 80gigs of space. I have the scanner set to manual (not scanning). There was activity on the frequency/object but no audio was recorded. The Win500Activitylog.txt file was created and but not updated. FWIW, I do have a line out from the headphones to my soundcard's Line-in and I can hear audio from the scanner over my PC's speaker perfectly so I know scanner audio is getting into the system. So why am I not getting an audio file created? Does the scanner have to actually be in scan mode to record audio? (I'm trying to test this out now and waiting for transmissions to occur so bear with me). Thanks.

(PS, Don, I love the s/w. Great work, sir!)

Last edited:

TonyS

My setup is working correctly because I successfully recorded audio and the activity log was updated today numerous times.

Speedwerx, check your settings in Windows for recording and line-in or mic settings...whichever input you're using on your soundcard.

OK, I had activity on the channel but the scanner was not in scan mode. It was in manual mode sitting on the object/channel. Win500 did not record the audio nor was there an entry made in the activity log. So it appears the scanner/Win500 must be in scan mode. Don (or anybody) is this correct?

TonyS

So it appears the scanner/Win500 must be in scan mode. Don (or anybody) is this correct?

So after more time spent in both scan and manual(non-scan) modes it appears I am correct. Win500 does NOT record the audio or log to the activity file unless the scanner is actually in scan mode. I wish this wasn't the case. I wish it would record in non-scan mode if you have the object set to be recorded. This would be helpful in finding PL/DPL or page-out tones.

Don, is there any way this can be implemented?

DonS

Yes, Win500 wants the scanner to be in scan mode for recording. The reason for this is that the only way Win500 "knows" what the scanner is doing is via the contents of the LCD that the scanner sends to the PC. In manual mode, the LCD doesn't change significantly when the current object becomes active. Only in scan mode does the LCD actually indicate (sufficiently) that something is happening.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Vista or XP?

The instructions for setting up recording are confusing since I'm using Windows 7. When I look at my control panel, I see "sound." At present, I have a Plantronics 780 headset plugged into my computer. So, I am going to unplug this & see if I can find my way through these instructions. I've never been able to activate the recording option in Win500. I would love to have this feature activated. If I'm correct, these instructions look like those needed for Vista or XP.

TonyS

DonS, thanks for responding. I didn't know that's how Win500 worked with the scanner. I still love Win500. :)

Ensnared, I would unplug the headphones for the heckuvit. Also, check your recording line-in or mic levels in Windows. Lastly, the record checkbox must be checked for whatever channel(s) you want to record, as well as enabled in the Monitor/Control section.

Status
Not open for further replies.