Win500 Software vs Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.

allandunn

My WIN500 software disappeared from my laptop. I just downloaded the latest version from Starsoft, but Norton insists on deleting it as unsafe and dangerous. Norton does not give me an option to allow it, but will not even let me reach the page to enter my license code.

Any suggestions?

allandunn

I never thought of that. But once I later boot normally, will it erase again? Or will it let me keep the install if done in safe mode?

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
Just updated from 2.06 to 2.07 and I'm getting the same thing from Norton. Will post back if I'm able to resolve it.

[edit] Ok, you have to go into your Norton AV settings, under scans and risks, then under items to exclude from auto protect, then select your Win500 directory where you have it installed and add it, then copy the .exe back and it'll work.

You could also replace the .exe and then just add it as an exclusion instead of the entire directory. This is what norton is reporting
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-051308-1854-99

Seems to be a reputation based alert, not a detection.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Not to take the topic off topic, but IMHO you can do better than Norton. Check out the RR threads on security software. I like Panda because its database is online, not requiring datafile downloads, and the computer doesn't bog down. That's me. But what NHdave said. If one recognizes that all this computer stuff is a PIA... where have you gone, DOS? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.