Win500 System Clock Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8OAY

I downloaded and installed Win500 on my Toshiba L505D-S5983 laptop yesterday. After a reboot or resume from suspend, it will not run giving me a message that the system clock has been changed, possibly in an attempt to disable security features of the program, and telling me to reset to clock to original settings. To be sure that this was not an issue of the program being corrupted, I deleted everything and downloaded a new copy and installed it. The new copy would not run, giving me the same error. To be sure it was not something else on my laptop causing the problem, I ran System Restore resetting to before Win500 was installed, then deleted the installed copy, downloaded and installed Win500 for the 3rd time. It ran fine, until I shut the laptop down last night. Today I have the same problem. Win96 which is a registered copy runs fine on the laptop. The clock has been changed on the laptop - I moved to Alabama from Ohio a couple months ago and changed to the Central Time Zone. That change was made long before Win500 was installed. What is causing this, and what do I need to do to fix it. I am not going to register the program if I can't get it to run.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/5.5.1_84_DBN-74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Are you setting the clock in the computer? A router picks up the network time from the ISP, adjusts automatically whether I'm in NJ or CO. Never have to touch the computer...

N8OAY

When I moved from Ohio to Alabama, I opened the clock on the Windows taskbar and changed the time from Eastern time zone to Central so that everything would show the correct time. I'm not sure what you mean about getting time from a router. This is a home internet connection with a wireless router. It has nothing to do with the computer clock settings.

budevans

When I moved from Ohio to Alabama, I opened the clock on the Windows taskbar and changed the time from Eastern time zone to Central so that everything would show the correct time. I'm not sure what you mean about getting time from a router. This is a home internet connection with a wireless router. It has nothing to do with the computer clock settings.

Since Windows 95 your computer gets time updates over the internet. Just curious, did you also reset your Wifi router to Central time?

N8OAY

I have always turned that function off. In the past, I had a connection that was not on all the time. But that is irrelevant to this issue. How the time in set on my computer should have nothing to do with Win500. It is a demo program that I am considering use of to program my GRE PSR-500 scanner. But if I can't run the demo, I certainly am not going to register it. I have several times uninstalled it, downloaded a fresh copy from Starrsoft.com and installed the new copy. Even after a reboot, and installing Win500 with nothing else running, it gives me that error when I attempt to start the program. And like I said in my first post, Win96 (which comes from the same author) runs fine on the computer

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Clacking rocks together: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This may interest you (from 2008)...remember, the search function is your friend ;)

http://forums.radioreference.com/931990-post1071.html

I think the key to your issue maybe the word "demo". If the software thinks you are rolling the date back for whatever reason (since it is a 30-day demo), it will do this automatically. I'm not saying you are doing that, just pointing out that the software's behavior you are seeing is normal in that circumstance.

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Let's try it again. Assuming Win7:

Control Panel -> Clock, Language and Region -> Date & Time -> Internet Time -> Change Settings. The checkbox should be checked; in the dropdown menu there are 5 choices. Pick one of them.

I assume you chose the new time zone from Control Panel -> Clock, Language and Region -> Date & Time -> Change Time Zone.

HTH.

N8OAY

I eralized what was happening and tried setting the time back to Eastern Time Zone. That did not fix the problem. The original change was made a couple weeks ago so I don't see why that should be affecting the demo. And yes, I understand the realities of a 30-day demo. That said, I still need to figure out how to fix it. Even if I did go to the web page and pay for a registration, I have no way of getting into the program to insert the user name and registration number. When you register a Starrsoft program, you get an email with a 55 character line a 11 or 12 character line that have to be inserted from a button on the demo splash screen. I have emailed Starrsoft but not got a reply.

I have been using Starrsoft programs for many years - I still use Win92 and Win96 - both are registered copies. And I am no computer dummy - I have been using computers with scanners and shortwave radios since the early days of the OptoScan 456!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.