Win500 USB cable error on every reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanpprcn

Premium Subscriber
I receive the "Unable to find any available 'USB <-> Radio Scanner Cable' devices" every time I restart the PC and then launch WIN500. WIN500 at this point is not talking to the scanner.

Using:
WindowsXP SP3
PRO-197
Win500 V01.91
RS 20-047 USB cable
FTDI driver from executable CDM20600.exe (ver 2.06.00).

This scanner/PC is at a remote location and when the PC needs to be re-booted for Windows updates or otherwise, I receive the message at the top of the post upon launching WIN500 every time. The only solution is to go to the scanner/PC, physically pull out the USB cable (hear the Windows high-low sound) and then reinsert it into the same USB port or another (hear the Windows low-high sound).

In all cases the COM port does show up in device manager even when the message above appears. I've tried reassigning the device to a different COM port, multiple re-installs of several versions of the driver, power cycling the scanner and the PC without resolution.

Another interesting item: The message at the top of the post appears even when WIN500 is finally 'talking' to the scanner and Configuration>Programming Cables... is selected.

The issues has existed over many WIN500 versions as well.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike B.

Last edited:

Deeke

Have you tried any other software such as PSREdit or Butel?
If they won't work, it's something in your computer settings.
If they do, you know that it's the software.

If it's RS cable, are you using the stereo to mono adapter?

I just installed FTDI to run two radios at the same time.

If you are, remove the adapter.

What com port did you choose and did you change the cable to any other # bedsides the GRE-4012?

I had an "ID 10 T" error on the first try until i re--re-read the FTDI installation instructions again.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a PDA such as a palm pilot with software installed? Apparently the PDA software hijacks the USB ports- if you have it, disable it and try the scanner again. I had this very same issue and the good folks here gave me that hint.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
A couple things (please bear with me):
  • The error message is the same as if you select "Programming Cables" from the "Configuration" drop-down with no cable hooked up
  • When you say the "COM port still shows up in Device Manager" do you mean a reference to that specific cable shows up? (i.e. - in Vista BE, mine says "USB Serial Port" only when the cable is attached)
  • Do you have the power management (on by default) turned off in ALL of your USB Root Hubs? You can find this at Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus Controllers - USB Root Hub - Power Management Tab and again, you should uncheck this setting for ALL USB Root Hubs
  • And last but not least (and a shot in the dark no less), do you use Kaspersky Anti-virus? If so, check this thread Kaspersky control of USB ports
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.