Win500 & USB Recognition Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8mvw

I recently purchased a GRE500 scanner and programmed it quickly using PSREdit500 but found I didn't do it correctly. I then found a LOT better information on Win500, so decided to give it a go. I did a radio reset then redid my local area (Fairbanks, AK) using Win500 (trial) and better importation from RR to prevent over 32 control frequencies. Now I cannot set the communication (USB) perimeters or upload / download to the radio on 2 different computers.

Both computers are running WinXP Pro, 32 bit, SP3; FTDI Driver version 2.6.0.0 dated 10/09. One computer is a desktop, the other a laptop. Scanner is serial number 0054xx GRE 500 & Win500 v01.91.

Win500 gives me the following error:

"Unable to find any available 'USB <-> Radio Scanner Cable' devices.
This can be caused by any or all of the following:
*The cable is not plugged into a USB port on the computer
*The cable is already 'opened' or 'in use' by another (or this) program
*The FTDI drivers for the cable are out-of-date"

The error message goes on to inform one on where to download the most recent drivers, but I have already done this. The cable is recognized by the computer as COM 1 and works fine with the PSREdit500 software; just not Win500. I have attempted several reboots and shutting down all other programs that utilize the COM port, so I know it is not being utilized by anything else. Have changed the com port address with no success either (rebooting between tries).

If this is a trial version lockout, please let me know; as I don't want to purchase something with this kind of error occurring. I would like to eventually setup the rig with another v-folder for AK so I can utilize the scanner on my travels.

Thanks & 73 in advance

Bill

DonS

Try the "Win500_COM.EXE" app that was downloaded along with Win500.EXE. They're the same program, differing only in how they communicate with the USB / Scanner cable.

With the "_COM" version, you must manually set the COM port value to use (via the Configuration, Serial Port menu). You'll see only the COM ports that actually exist on your system, and any that are "already in use" will be so flagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.