Win92 w/USB adapted issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain343

I have a Pro92 and a Pro2067 and with an older computer with serial port, Win92 works great.

But that computer is dying and new computers don't have serial ports anymore.

I have a TrendNet TU-S9 USB to Serial cable that works great for programming and controlling my BC780xlt and BC245xlt with serial cables and my Win10 laptop using Senss software and IDtracker and COM6.

But when I try and use Win92, even with the DLLs downloaded and in the same directory, I get the timeout error.

I know it's communicating with the radio though! I hit verify or download from scanner and the scanner immediately starts sending data but Win92 just sits and sits and then timeouts.

I've tried checking and unchecking all 3 of the boxes in the settings window as well.

Anything else I should do? I know I have the right port, I know the cable works, I know it's communicating... what else can I try?

Thanks!

jim202

Start hitting your local computer repair stores. Many of them seem to keep a few of the older computers in storage. Try asking them and see what they have that they are tossing out. I have made friends with one store and have picked up a number of older and some not that old computers that became available. Even some keyboards and monitors. The only thing is the hard drives will probably be removed. So you might need to come up with some hard drives.

Jim

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't think you can use the same serial cable that you use for the 780 and 245 on the PRO-92. I think the levels and the jack connections are totally different. You should look around for the RS cable and I think you can find it on fleaBay among other places. The old SKU numbers were 20-047 and the newer one was 20-546. Both of these cables had a pigtail. Be careful here; the original version of the 92 needed the pigtail - the A and B versions didn't.

I'm sure someone can recommend one....Mike

Mountain343

Start hitting your local computer repair stores. Many of them seem to keep a few of the older computers in storage. Try asking them and see what they have that they are tossing out. I have made friends with one store and have picked up a number of older and some not that old computers that became available. Even some keyboards and monitors. The only thing is the hard drives will probably be removed. So you might need to come up with some hard drives.

Jim

I think I might need to do this... that's why I kept the old "clunker" around as long as I did, but it's just dying... reformating it, new HD, new ram, a new PSU, and even running it off a USB Linux live boot and it still locks up/freezes. I've replaced everything but the mobo and the cpu.

I don't think you can use the same serial cable that you use for the 780 and 245 on the PRO-92. I think the levels and the jack connections are totally different. You should look around for the RS cable and I think you can find it on fleaBay among other places. The old SKU numbers were 20-047 and the newer one was 20-546. Both of these cables had a pigtail. Be careful here; the original version of the 92 needed the pigtail - the A and B versions didn't.

I'm sure someone can recommend one....Mike

Oops, I think I wasn't clear... the serial cable I use for the 245 and the 780 are different cables, but both plug into the trendnet so I know that the usb to serial adapter works with win10 and my laptop.

I have the proper programming cable for the 92/2067, which works fine when plugged into a regular serial port and I can upload and download from the radios and Win92 just fine, so I know that cable works great too...

It's just getting the programming cable to work with the trendnet cable on the win10 laptop that's not working. All the other serial cables work fine with it, just not the radioshack one for the 92 and 2067.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I assume that you have the serial cable for the PRO-92 that has a COM connector on the PC end (not a USB connection). They make USB to COM port cables. Get one of those. You can go into Device Manager and force it to a specific COM port. Make that selection in WIN92. You might need to check one of the other boxes in WIN92 as well (extra write time for example).

Mountain343

I assume that you have the serial cable for the PRO-92 that has a COM connector on the PC end (not a USB connection). They make USB to COM port cables. Get one of those. You can go into Device Manager and force it to a specific COM port. Make that selection in WIN92. You might need to check one of the other boxes in WIN92 as well (extra write time for example).

Looks like I'm going to have to spend the $$$ and get the USB programming cable. Just seems so weird that the TU-S9 works with all of my other serial cables .. just not that one.

I mean, it DOES talk to the radio, it DOES start sending and receiving the data... the software just doesn't seem to see it. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.