Win96/97 freeware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpawel15x

Does anyone know if the Win96 / 97 sofware will become freeware now that the scanners are being discontinued by RS ? I mean they should be free after the scanners are discontinued like the Win95 for Pro-95. Right?

Last edited:

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if the Win96 / 97 sofware will become freeware now that the scanners are being discontinued by RS ? I mean they should be free after the scanners are discontinued like the Win95 for Pro-95. Right?

Wrong - the author is under no obligation to make his programs freeware regardless of the status of the radios. Microsoft never released any of their operating systems as freeware even though some of their DOS stuff is over 20 years old. In fact they go after websites that post those old operating systems and shut them down.

I should have mentioned that Win97 works with GRE's new PSR-300 and PSR-400 along with their Radio Shack equivalents so your argument of obsolesence is wrong for that program.

Last edited:

KE5BCP

Analog Man

Win95 was always free.

People will continue to buy and trade both the Pro-96 and Pro-97 even after the Shack quits carrying them.

Mr. Starr's software is well worth the price.

bezking

Wrong - the author is under no obligation to make his programs freeware regardless of the status of the radios. Microsoft never released any of their operating systems as freeware even though some of their DOS stuff is over 20 years old. In fact they go after websites that post those old operating systems and shut them down.

They do this because these OSes contain code that was licensed from other organizations. There was talk a while ago about MS maybe releasing the old DOS stuff as open source\freeware but this idea had no legs because these organizations objected...

Status
Not open for further replies.