• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Win96 Extended Frequency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xusmarine1979

Active Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
1,380
Location
Louisville, Ohio
Good Evening all,
I have turned on the extended freq option for my 96 for Win96. When I search in the 700MHz I hear stuff from 800MHz, like my county SO. Is that what they call an image, or is that normal? I'm just curious. Also, I have programmed the MilAir in my radio but never hear anything. I know there must be activity because I'm near the Canton/Akron Airport. Any answers or help would be greatful. Thanks.
 

KCChiefs9690

CQ DX
Joined
Mar 20, 2004
Messages
1,786
Location
Lewis Center, OH
xusmarine1979 said:
Good Evening all,
I have turned on the extended freq option for my 96 for Win96. When I search in the 700MHz I hear stuff from 800MHz, like my county SO. Is that what they call an image, or is that normal? I'm just curious. Also, I have programmed the MilAir in my radio but never hear anything. I know there must be activity because I'm near the Canton/Akron Airport. Any answers or help would be greatful. Thanks.
You are not hearing any Milair, because the scanner was not designed to listen to the milair band. Even though you can unlock the band, chances are you will not receive much, simply because the scanner is not "tuned" for that band. :)
 

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Lead Database Admin
Joined
Sep 22, 2002
Messages
4,383
Location
Ohio
KCChiefs9690 said:
You are not hearing any Milair, because the scanner was not designed to listen to the milair band. Even though you can unlock the band, chances are you will not receive much, simply because the scanner is not "tuned" for that band. :)
Incorrect. My 96 is unlocked and works just fine for milair traffic.

XUSMarine, the frequencies you're listening to are probably not in use. If you're listening to the milair tower and ground channels at Akron/Canton, keep in mind that those channels are only set up to multicast if the controller on duty has set it up to do so. You'll also need a fairly good antenna to hear stuff you're not particularly close to.

Tom WA8PYR
 

n4voxgill

Silent Key
Joined
Dec 15, 2000
Messages
2,579
Location
New Braunfels, TX
I'm glad that my Pro96 and 2096 don't know they can't hear milair, as I listen to planes from Randolph AFB on milair every day. The milair band is so wide that you will not get much until you are able to program in specific fequencies in use. I used four base scanners searching small blocks of spectrum to build my data base. Then programed them in the 96, 2096 and AR8200 MK3. I still use the four scanners searching from time to time looking for new frequencies.
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,038
Location
Butler County, Ohio
wa8pyr said:
Incorrect. My 96 is unlocked and works just fine for milair traffic.

XUSMarine, the frequencies you're listening to are probably not in use. If you're listening to the milair tower and ground channels at Akron/Canton, keep in mind that those channels are only set up to multicast if the controller on duty has set it up to do so. You'll also need a fairly good antenna to hear stuff you're not particularly close to.

Tom WA8PYR

Thank you, Tom!

I get sick of people saying how "deaf" the 96 is on milair.

Mine works great there also. I leave 301.60, 259.40 and 281.40,
in my 96 and it has no problem hearing those active frequencies
from the Buckeye and Brush Creek MOAs some 70 some odd miles east of me.


Mark
 

W8OSP

Member
Joined
May 17, 2005
Messages
290
Location
Gallia Co Ohio
Yeah Mark im the same way with my 2096 in my mobile i receive lots of milair from the brush creek buckeye area's.
 

Bucko

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
1,024
Location
Marietta, Ohio
radioscan said:
Thank you, Tom!

I get sick of people saying how "deaf" the 96 is on milair.

Mine works great there also. I leave 301.60, 259.40 and 281.40,
in my 96 and it has no problem hearing those active frequencies
from the Buckeye and Brush Creek MOAs some 70 some odd miles east of me.


Mark
I hate to make you more sick but my 96 & 2096 is deaf on the UHF aero compared to my 2055 & 2035. So guess maybe I am doing something wrong but would not know what it would be. They won't even receive 317.475, the local Indy, I would sure like them to work there.
 

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Joined
Aug 15, 2001
Messages
2,038
Location
Butler County, Ohio
deafness?

Sure my 96 may not receive the milair band as well as my Pro-2006, but it is far from deaf.
I also use it with my Diamond D-130 antenna that is up about 25 feet in which it receives the milair band just fine.

My main milair scanning falls to the 2006 and 780 while my 96's main purpose is MARCS and local 800.

The point being is that the 96 is not as deaf on the milair band as some make it out to be.

Your mileage may vary.
 

Yokoshibu

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
362
1979 I dunno what you are expecting to hear thats mil-air out of akron other than the army gaurds helo's and I dunno if they are even in uhf ... last i knew they were down in the 40 mhz region ... but that was a few years ago... also you might lookinto YARS.... they are the closest UHF mil air to akron / canton
 

xusmarine1979

Active Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
1,380
Location
Louisville, Ohio
You guys are great. Thanks alot for the info. The current antenna's I am using is a 2m antenna that plugs directly into the radio that looks kinda like a cell antenna, and Radio Shack's 800 MHz rubber duckie. Which one would work beter for the UHF? Thanks again for the great responses. I'll see a CH-47 every so often, that's why I wasn't sure if it was working correctly.
 

Yokoshibu

Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
362
... you prob wont hear anything on UHF.... unless someone here knows for sure that they switched, they used to have c2 and interflight on vhf lowband
 

mlevin

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,615
Location
Baltimore, MD
I won't say my 96 is deaf on Mil-Air, but it could definitely use a hearing aid. Results vary on each model. Last May I was at an airshow at Andrews AFB and my 96 hardly picked up the blue angels a few hundred feet away with perfect line of site.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top