Win96 Key Retrieval

dustinsterk

Hello,
I have decided to blow off the dust on my Pro-96 and have installed Win96 for Programming. Years ago I purchased a key, but have lost it since. I tried emailing Don from Starrsoft but my email is returned undeliverable flaged as spam (no idea why). Does anyone know who we can contact for help?

Thanks!

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your county and state and which agencies do you want to monitor? It's possible that there have been some system updates that the PRO-96 cannot monitor.

dustinsterk

NJ Bergen county, local PD and FD....I was afraid of that, I am not hearing anything even when programmed. Can the Pro-96 not do the latest systems? If so, what are the go to scanners today?

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Bergen County system has a 700 MHz Simulcast site. The PRO-96 cannot trunk track 700 MHz frequencies. The Bergen County system is P25 Phase 2 capable. Presently, all of the talkgroups are operating as Phase 1 which the PRO-96 can receive, but they may switch to Phase 2 in the future. The PRO-96 cannot decode P25 Phase 2. The NJICS statewide system uses almost all 700 MHz frequencies. The majority of the talkgroups on that system are Phase 2. New Jersey has many simulcast systems, including Bergen Co and NJICS, which may cause problems with reception depending upon your location. Simulcast distortion causes missed transmissions, dropouts, and garbled audio. The Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile are the only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast systems. They are expensive, but they are the only ones that will work reliably at your location. The SDS100 and SDS200 are the only scanners that will receive my local Baltimore Co simulcast system at my home. I have tried them all and they all failed miserably.

dustinsterk

This is great, sounds like the SDS100 or SDS200 is the way to go. The only other thing I was researching was running Unitrunker with two RTL-SDR dongles....this seems like more of a hack solution and obviously requires a laptop and dedicated setup, but at a total of $100 price point. Any preferred/suggested places to purchase the SDS100/200 scanners?

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget about the P25RX / P25RX-II series of dedicated receivers. I live in simulcast hell equidistant from three towers in my Lake County IL StarCom21 site, and the reception and audio quality on P25 Phase II is as good as a /\/\ subscriber radio. And it also does multi-mode scanning including analog FMNB, DMR and NXDN. And Todd @btt as the developer is incredibly responsive to user issues and feature requests. Check out https://bluetailtechnologies.com/

rrman987

-
Don Starr totally abandoned his software and customer support a few years ago.
Great :( I just posted about a win95 problem to Starr but suppose I will get my email back as rejected.
That said what is latest greatest Pro95 downloader I can migrate to, even if I have to re enter everything?

ind224

dreese, perhaps indicating when you last had contact with him would let thousands of users know Don's status. I had dealings with Don, l o n g ago, and had to fight for my right to party.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not completely. I had an issue and he responded within a day or two.
-
Are you talking about Don Starr from Starrsoft Software here?

What email address did you use to contact him?

In your previous post you mentioned just purchasing Scan Control software, which is not from Starrsoft.

Ret_Batt_Chief

Premium Subscriber
-
Are you talking about Don Starr from Starrsoft Software here?

What email address did you use to contact him?

In your previous post you mentioned just purchasing Scan Control software, which is not from Starrsoft.

I contacted Don using Don@starrsoft.com. I purchased Win96 software for my RS 2096 on Sept 15 and had trouble with the Reg Key. He responded two days later with a fix for the problem. I also purchased the BuTel software for my RS 2096 but I prefer the WIN96.

I use ScanCtrl Pro for my RS 2052
I use ARC125 from Butel for my BC 125AT

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I contacted Don using Don@starrsoft.com. I purchased Win96 software for my RS 2096 on Sept 15 and had trouble with the Reg Key. He responded two days later with a fix for the problem. I also purchased the BuTel software for my RS 2096 but I prefer the WIN96.

I use ScanCtrl Pro for my RS 2052
I use ARC125 from Butel for my BC 125AT

Interesting…