WIN96 Not Showing Everything in RR Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayidunk

I'm trying to populate my Pro-2096 with conventional (non-trunked) public service frequencies in, and around Hartford, CT using the Web Import function of WIN96. However, whenever I go to display the conventional frequencies available for download from Hartford County, no Public Service freqs are displayed, only the two airports, and business freqs are displayed. This seems to be a common occurrence regardless of what county I attempt to import in that everything but PS freqs seem to be shown as available for import from the RR databases!

Am I missing something, here? Could someone please help me out?

Thanks.

poppafred

I was doing an update to a regional frequency package yesterday using Win500 and ran into the same thing.

That means it isn't our software, may be something going on with the RR database.

mayidunk

After selecting "Hartford" in Win96's County drop-down, you should see a list of Categories in the box labeled "Frequencies for Hartford County". Expanding those Categories and their child Subcategories should show all of the frequencies on the RR web page for the county:
Hartford County, Connecticut (CT) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
OK, Don, I see what you're referring to. Thanks. However, in pointing that out, I think you may have pointed out a flaw in your software.

After selecting a county, "Hartford" for instance, the window below displays frequency categories related to "Hartford County." If I then make a selection from the "Agency List," the frequency categories originally displayed in that window go away, and are replaced with frequency categories related to my selection. Once that's done, the frequency categories that were originally displayed with the "County" selection cannot be recalled unless I go to the "County" drop-down list, and reselect the county!

Why not include "Hartford County" in the "Agency List," and re-caption the "Agency List" drop-down menu? You could rename it something like, "Frequency Categories" so that it can include the "Hartford County" frequency categories, along with the categories for Bradley Airport, Hartford-Brainard Airport, and Businesses? You could put the "Hartford County" categories in the "Frequency Categories" drop-down menu under a different category name, like "Public Service by Town." I believe this would be more intuitive for the user, otherwise you force them to relate the contents of the frequency category window to both the "Agency List" drop-down menu, and the "County" drop-down menu. Which is especially confusing, since the "Agency List" menu is subordinate to the "County" menu!

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and perhaps there's a reason you did it the way you did.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

poppafred

Don,

I went through several different counties in Texas to update my list. None of the counties displayed government frequencies, only business and airports. I am running Win500 2.06.

Since we were using different softwares, I don't see how that could have been the problem.

Last edited:

mayidunk

Don,

I went through several different counties in Texas to update my list. None of the counties displayed government frequencies, only business and airports. I am running Win500 2.06.

Since we were using different softwares, I don't see how that could have been the problem.
Fred,

I have not used WIN500, but if my guess is correct the gov't. frequency categories will only appear in the window when you first choose a county. It is at this point that the categories in that window are connected to the "County" drop-down menu. It's when you make a selection from the "Agency List" menu that the window shifts its focus from the "County" menu to the "Agency List" menu. Since there is no selection for these gov't frequency categories in the "Agency List" menu, you will not be able to reacquire the gov't frequencies until you reselect the county from the "County" menu.

It's very likely that much of the code for WIN500 came directly from code that already existed in Don's other scanner programing software. So, even though WIN96 and WIN500 are separate software packages, they probably contain a lot of the same code, especially in this case as it's a common practice to reuse user interface/data presentation code.

Last edited:

DonS

Win96 (and Win97 and Win500) present the data the way they do because that's how the data is organized in the RadioReference database.

Starting at the state level, conventional channels are organized by RR like this:
Code:
States
  Agencies
    Categories
      Subcategories
        Frequencies
  Counties
    Categories
      Subcategories
        Frequencies
    Agencies
      Categories
        Subcategories
          Frequencies
* When you select a state, the County and Agency drop-downs are populated and enabled.
* When you select a County, the Agency drop-down is populated and enabled. The Frequencies window is populated with the Categories in that County
* When you select an Agency, the Frequencies window is populated with the Categories in that Agency

poppafred

Fred,

I have not used WIN500, but if my guess is correct the gov't. frequency categories will only appear in the window when you first choose a county. It is at this point that the categories in that window are connected to the "County" drop-down menu. It's when you make a selection from the "Agency List" menu that the window shifts its focus from the "County" menu to the "Agency List" menu. Since there is no selection for these gov't frequency categories in the "Agency List" menu, you will not be able to reacquire the gov't frequencies until you reselect the county from the "County" menu.

It's very likely that much of the code for WIN500 came directly from code that already existed in Don's other scanner programing software. So, even though WIN96 and WIN500 are separate software packages, they probably contain a lot of the same code, especially in this case as it's a common practice to reuse user interface/data presentation code.

But the government frequencies NEVER showed up! I've been using win500 for 2 years and this has never happened before. It had to be something going on with RR.

DonS

But the government frequencies NEVER showed up! I've been using win500 for 2 years and this has never happened before. It had to be something going on with RR.

What government frequencies and in what state/county?

If they show up on the RR web page for the county, they'll show up in Win500.

poppafred

That is what was weird, Don. I have downloaded the frequencies for Tarrant Co., Texas before without any problems at all. Then, the other day, the only thing showing on web import was businesses and airports.

I still don't think it was your software, it had to be a glitch in the RR servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.