Win96 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have reinstalled Win96 on my new computer, Im using now the GRE500 cable with the USB port, it has chosen Comp-3....When i plug into my 2096 the readout shows "Clone up" and the Win96 on the computer shows a box saying "Looking for Header" then times out...Im trying to upload to the computer ...I used to get these little boxes showing the upload in progreass, now the scanner just sits there and the banner on the computer, what steps am i missing...Thank You

TES

Read the Help file in Win96: Contents>Getting Started>Connecting the Scanner

Here is part of that Help text:

If the scanner does not begin sending data, or if Win96 displays an error message (e.g. Unable to open the COM port, timeout waiting for header, expected to read back data, etc.), you should attempt the following one at a time:

1. Double-check to ensure that you have the correct COM port selected.

2. Make sure the programming cable is firmly seated in the scanner’s jack and in the PC’s 9-pin connector.

3. Make sure that no other software is using the serial port. The usual suspects include PDA “sync” software, such as Palm’s HotSync. You must either close such software, or temporarily disable it (so that it’s no longer using the port).

I'm fairly certain item 1. or item 3. is your problem.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I have reinstalled Win96 on my new computer, Im using now the GRE500 cable with the USB port, it has chosen Comp-3....When i plug into my 2096 the readout shows "Clone up" and the Win96 on the computer shows a box saying "Looking for Header" then times out...Im trying to upload to the computer ...I used to get these little boxes showing the upload in progreass, now the scanner just sits there and the banner on the computer, what steps am i missing...Thank You

It sounds like you ran into the same problem I ran into. The way the PRO96/2096s (And also PRO2055/97s & PRO2067/92s) know that there is a programming cable plugged in is by `ground switching'. IE: The jack inside the radio makes and un-makes the ground line using the built in switch inside the jack being wired to switch the ground rather than the signal. (I used to make adapters for the PRO2067s that had been dash mounted such that they could be reprogrammed without having to be constantly pulling them from the dash using a mono extension cord with a switched jack mounted in place of the unswitched jack that had originally been on the cord.) When I tried to use the USB cable w/ the *`stereo'* plug on the end I started having that problem you are having.

*My* `cure' was to buy a USB to DB9 Serial adapter and just continue using the old `original' programming cable! (The `new' USB cable, in my case the GRE cable I got with my PSR500/600 scanners, I now used *just* for those scanners. Since I don't have a GRE300 or 400 I don't know if I'd have to use the `adapter fix' for them. Also since I never bought the `old' RS USB cable when they first brought them out because at the time I didn't have a `need' for one I do not know if they had a `mono' or `stereo' plug on them.)

If you are wondering why the difference, it is that the PRO2096/96 communicates with the computer `one way'. IE: The communications are either send or receive and the software/radio basically know which way is needed at what time so all they needed to know was that there was a cable connected. The newer, PSR500/600 `based' scanners, utilize `bi-directional' communications, there is a TX and a RX line along with a GND line in the cable and the `module' is basically just a `level' `adjusting' device between USB and Serial and all they do is just `listen' to see if there is a cable hooked up. Add that extra `ring' on the plug that connects to the radio and radio gets confused as to what it supposed to do since it isn't dealing with a serial UART like it was originally designed for and is expecting. Just another thing to, NOT, thank `progress?'/`Plug and Pray' for? Oh, well...

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to both posts, when i saw the pin on the GRE500 cable i kind of figured it was not like the pin on my older gray cable that has a serial connector....The GRE cable has a like stereo plug and gray cable i used on my old computer had a single ring....

Status
Not open for further replies.